Roy Hunter bullets/ testing

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by tom, Sep 21, 2019.

1. johara1

johara1

WOW, That is even better than the 105 Hybrid and the 109 to boot.... I shot the 103 VT and Spencers and they sure don't have BC. close to that.... jim

2. geo.ulrich

geo.ulrich beware of owner Gold $$ Contributor

Jim, Tom, I messed up my numbers recalculated to .55 G1 @ 2900 Vapor trails come out to .54 G1 @ 2900 Barts are the same as Roys please forgive

dgeesaman and tom like this.
  3. johara1

johara1

Us laymen go by the drops, best we can do .... is there any gain from a 7 twist over an 8 in BC. Jim

4. geo.ulrich

not in bc but it will increase stability factor, the numbers I ran were for 1.5 sg if I remember it came up at 8.1 twist was good.....

Stan Taylor likes this.
  5. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

Don’t feel bad BC is the nerdy cheap substitute for real drop data.

Also it would be helpful to derive G7s instead and state the range where the data applies.

6. johara1

johara1

Why does Berger give one BC. number and SMK's vary as the velocity drops..... jim

7. geo.ulrich

Jim, Sierra is giving the good numbers B.C. changes with velocity. That is why I included it. I will refigure at different velocities and repost numbers for you....

dgeesaman likes this.
  8. geo.ulrich

Jim, O.K. @ 2511 =.53 B.C. IN G1 And takes 7.4 twist . 2901 = .55 B.C. IN G1 And takes 7.6 twist , 3013 = .56 in G1 And takes 7.6 twist , 3124 = .57 in G1 and takes 7.7 twist ..... the G7 model is closer for the bullets we use but not perfect either you will be close dividing in half for G7

dgeesaman likes this.
  9. johara1

johara1

Thank you sir.... jim

10. sandwarrior

sandwarrior

Ahh, Northwest Montana der. I used to live in Montana.;)

I was wondering if you ever got over to the Great lakes region. Seems like you're one of the few diehards that will shoot in the cold and deep snow.

11. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Born in North Dakota, and have lived in Maine, North Dakota and Montana....So I really just don't know any better lol. Other than traveling by, the closest I've spent a weekend is Niagara Falls for a wrestling tournament as a kid. I know one person from Michigan (@Alex Wheeler), and that's enough of those people for me :D:D:D, lol. Joking of course, I'm sure he's abnormal for even there!

Tom

dmoran, sandwarrior, JMP and 4 others like this.
  12. Field & Cave

Field & Cave Site $$ Sponsor

As a Texas & Michigan guy, I’m certain it was his time in Florida that’s to blame.

dmoran, LRPV, Mulligan and 1 other person like this.
  13. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

easy out there now, I could use a little Destin time. Florida is our friend:D

CaptainMal and Field & Cave like this.
  14. sandwarrior

sandwarrior

Yup, things are quite abnormal up here. Most people love the snow here. It's like a religious ritual to shovel it. Me, I'd rather go back to the cold of Montana and not so much snow. My first years here were 322" and 309" and this year is "normal" at around 220". But, don't feel bad for me. We never went below zero this year and the previous two, were two nights at -11 and two nights last year at -17. Other than that it's pretty balmy in comparison.

N. Dakota is a special kind of hell-cold. Not one damn tree in that state to stop the wind. Montana? It's worth being cold there. Our kids got their Masters at U of M (Missoula) and went to work here at Mich. Tech. That's daughter and son-in-law. And, as long as they work here, the ball and chain ain't movin'. LOL

I'll have to look up and test some of those bullets. I'm getting back into F-Class and I need good pills.

15. ebert

ebert

what would be a good load for 600 yards with roys 106 6 dasher no turn neck 104 free bore 30 inch tube with rl15 or varget thanks

16. johara1

johara1

Free bore is too short to shoot the loads I shoot..... jim

mikeeg02 likes this.
  17. ebert

ebert

I also have a 6br with a .120 free bore

18. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

29.5-30.5 gr. Varget or RL15.

SPJ likes this.
  19. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Sent Tom a note about BRA chambering for those Roy's "A" bullets. I got some and one looking for the touch seating depth found out my .104 throat reamer is too long. Now this barrel does have .008" recession in 700 rds but all the neck contact I had at touch was .110". Man that is out there to me.

Asked Tom if a reamer for those bullets should be a .090-.095" throat. No answer yet.

Now in one of my dashers made with my .124" reamer, I have a solid .140" contact between bullet and neck. Advice on reamer neck length for both Dasher and BRA?

WIB3 likes this.
  20. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz

My reamer for the br-improved has .140" free bore, and it works just fine with bullet a. Quite honestly I wish it had just a little more free bore for where I like things. I like just enough to hold the bullet lol.

Boatschool02 and dmoran like this.