Ring Height headache

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Fort_Bragger, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Fort_Bragger

Fort_Bragger Silver $$ Contributor

Am I the only one with a cabinet of unused scope rings, when I guessed wrong at what height I needed? Is there a web site where you can plug in your weapon, scope, and rings, and it spits out the correct ring height for you to use? Burris has a page with maybe fifty charts. It gave me a headache trying to find the right one. A little help please? It should be easier than it is. Thanks.

fe1 likes this.
  2. Larryh128

Larryh128

what scope are u putting on what rifle? Objective diameter is a must.

3. rammac

rammac

Search for ring height calculator on the Internet

4. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Get the big ones..

group therapy likes this.
  5. Fort_Bragger

Long action Remington M700. Either a 52mm or maybe a 56mm.

6. Fort_Bragger

Thanks

7. Larryh128

Larryh128

You need high rings. There are some bases that would require xtra high. Weaver bases? or rail?

Fort_Bragger likes this.
  8. Dud

Dud

It's usually pretty easy to see a similar combo of rifle and scope mounting base, then ask questions about bell diameters, barrel diameter at the closest spot and the rings they are using.

Similar measurements from what you have should let you determine how much clearance you should get with different height rings.

It's homework but it's not too hard.

I have some rings I'm not using for other reasons but not because I bought the wrong height.

Fort_Bragger likes this.
  9. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

Buy from places with good return policies...

Ol’ Ed likes this.
  10. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

Over the years, as I acquired more rifles, my collection of "bad guesses" on scope rings has been significantly depleted. :) Glad I saved them.....

Ggmac likes this.
  11. Flouncer

Flouncer What the heck it works for me !! Gold $$ Contributor

With the OP. Barrel contour and OCULAR diameter will get ya also. Frustrated at absence of support from Leupold. If they specified the height of the base invert or distance to any meaningful point on the ring. . .. . . If it's on their web site I can't find it. Went to counter at Box store with my old rings which wouldn't fit a new 42mm bell Hunting scope. . .. . . The ocular clearance was impeded so simply knowing what objective was employed was useless. Very hard for counter guy to understand. Let me know if ya find something.

12. rammac

rammac

This is not rocket science guys

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator
    https://xlrindustries.com/pages/scope-ring-height-calculator
    https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/scope-ring-height-clearance-calculator/

You can mock up where you want the scope by laying the rifle and the scope on a table and then measure from the center of the action to the center of where you want the scope tube (at the center of the scope tube) and then subtract one half the diameter of the scope tube.

If you don't have the scope then you can have to resort to a mathematical formula but that's not that difficult. The formula to figure this out is pretty straight forward.

You are trying to compare the height from the centerline of the bore to the height from the centerline of the action.

So you create a formula that says the height I need at the objective lens is equal to the height I need at the center of the scope tube and then solve for the ring height.

Don't forget to add the thickness of any scope cover at the objective lens end and make sure that you account for the scope mount/rail at the scope tube.

13. Dud

Dud

I think the biggest problem with figuring it out is that there are no standards for ring measurements. Do they measure from the top of the rail or the bottom of a slot? Do they measure to the bottom of the scope tube or the centerline?

If you look at pictures and compare it to the number, you can figure it out but it should just be a lot clearer.

Fort_Bragger likes this.
  14. Flouncer

Flouncer What the heck it works for me !! Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks rammac. But Leupold could do something besides let their customers order the wrong stuff or letting one of their vendors sort their problems out for them. Don't feel like dealing with rocket science anyways. Have JBM for that <>

15. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

Am I the only guy who tries to set a scope at a height that is good for my eye when holding the rifle at a comfortable hold; or even on the bench for my comfortable position.

Of course you MUST provide clearance for the objective lense, but secondary to that, I try to "fit my face". To me, this is very important for a hand-held hunting rifle/off hand shooter.

I like to close my eyes, and shoulder my rifle several times, and when it feels comfortable I open my eyes and see where my eye is centered in relation to the scope. This will tell me if I need to adjust ring height, or perhaps even stock comb.

And yeah, I've got a bunch of rings and bases in my spare parts bin. jd

Evan, KRP and Fort_Bragger like this.
  16. dogdude

dogdude Egan O'Brien Gold $$ Contributor

1.25'' will work

Fort_Bragger likes this.
  17. Ol’ Ed

Ol’ Ed The older I get the better I was....... Silver $$ Contributor

I buy my rings and bases from MidwayUSA. No problems with returns, and my collection of misc bases and rings is slowly shrinking.

hogpatrol likes this.
  18. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

19. lloydx2

lloydx2

I use shims that I tape to the base on the rifle. U can use coins or brass shim stock or some sort of combination
    I have also used wood and measure with a good caliper with great results. Lay the scope on the shims and tape it down.
    Doing this allows you to get proper eye relief. Then you know exactly were everything is. Bolt handle etc..
    Doing it this way determines exact base thickness of the scope ring. When using the center of scope ring to
    base measurement just subtract half the diameter of the ring from the overall height number (center of ring to base)
    This will give you ring base thickness. Never guess again

20. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

If you are going to use a picatinny, you should be able to use medium rings.