Removing HBN from bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by calgarycanada, Mar 11, 2019.

1. calgarycanada

calgarycanada

I have close to 600 bullets that were impact plated with HBN but I don’t wanna use coated bullets in my new barrel.
    As far as I understand HBN is pretty stable and doesn’t dissolve in any common (safe for bullets) chemicals? So what are my options?
    I have wet tumbler setup and acetone on hand.
    Has anyone done this before? How successful were you? Did it come off completely?
    Dont wanna start another argument about benefits/drawbacks etc of HBN so please stick to the topic.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I would bet wet tumbling with soap, warm water, pins and your citric acid of choice would work

3. BronzeArcher

BronzeArcher

What he said, this works.

4. calgarycanada

calgarycanada

Awesome, easy enough. Thanks.

5. brcman

brcman

calgary- did you get the HBN removed?

6. 46and2

46and2

I vibratory tumble my bullets in a pill bottle. I once tried scrubbing with acetone...it didn't budge. It is actually plated onto and into the bullets surface.
    I just shot them as is.

7. calgarycanada

calgarycanada

I ran them through wet tumbler. Most of it is gone but not 100%. There is still visible impacts on bullets from steel balls, bullets feel different than non-coated.
    I’m just gonna use them for practice through my beater gun, don’t wanna run any HBN through competition rifle.

8. brcman

brcman

Thanks to All, I'm thinking I'll just leave the coating on them.

9. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

I dry tumbled in walnut hulls to remove moly.

10. Twicepop

Twicepop Silver $$ Contributor

The impact dimples should be a good thing. Years back Precision Shooting had an article about running bullets through a tumbler like they were Moly-coating, only omit the Moly and the wax coat. The impact dimples on the bullets has the same effect as the dimples on a golf ball allowing it to travel further and arguably more accurately. The numbers of dimples on a golf ball is regulated by the PGA, one additional dimple is supposed to allow the ball to travel 100-150 yards farther, everything else being equal. They said the additional dimple isn't allowed because of the financial expenses of re-designing all the golf courses to accept the additional ball travel.

11. Baddog0302

Baddog0302

I coated some with HBN that came out with an uneven coat so I threw them in the vibratory case cleaner with the usual ground walnut hulls,I have my case cleaners on timers to run for 3 hrs, no mater what is being cleaned. Bottom line, they came out shinnies than new

Terry likes this.
  12. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I did the same thing, it worked.