Removing green loctite

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by milanuk, Sep 4, 2013.

1. milanuk

milanuk Gold $$ Contributor

So... I've got a part that needed to be affixed using green loctite, per the directions. Started to put it on, but realized I'd gotten some of the goo on the outer surface (threads) as well, and pulled it off. Surprise, surprise, that stuff sets up FAST! Now its spread over the tenon and the inside of the sleeve as well, and I need to remove it COMPLETELY before starting over.

I know heat loosens it up, but is there anything out there that (safely) acts as a solvent for removal?

TIA,

Monte

2. Alvin

Alvin Gold $$ Contributor

Purchase from Grainger
    Item # 4KM49
    Loctite Clean Up Solvent, Size 2 fl.oz. Bottle, Dissolves Cured Instant Adhesives
    Expensive but works well

3. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Heat gun should loosen it up enough to wipe off...

4. Steve Blair

Steve Blair

Monte, [br]
    Loctite 290 (green) is usually used on existing threaded assemblies without disassembly. It is easily identified by both color and smell. It has a kind of green, candy apple smell. As Alvin noted, Loctite Clean Up Solvent (methylene chloride) will remove it completely. Use in a well ventilated area. [br]
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LOCTITE-Clean-Up-Solvent-4KM49

5. Lapua40X

Lapua40X California Hunter Education Instructor Silver $$ Contributor

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/methylenechloride/

6. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren

https://www.google.com/search?q=OSHA+%22Cowboy%22&rlz=1T4TSNO_enUS504US505&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=j2AoUty7Co-x4AOHyYAQ&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=570

7. Larryh128

Larryh128

Most of you probably know this but it bears repeating, Loc-tite has iso cyanides in it and can be absorbed thru the skin. Best to wear disposable gloves when using it. If you start to itch, that is the 1st sign that you have absorbed some. Wash the area well with soap & water.

8. milanuk

Okay... while I realize the official Loctite remover would probably be the 'best' solution (and thanks for the heads-up on the nasty factor of the stuff!)... I don't have a Grainger's anywhere nearby, and... by the time shipping, etc. (do they charge hazmat for such small packages?) is involved I'm looking at probably at least $60 to clean up a $90 part. Granted, one that has a long lead time, but still. Makes for some interesting choices ??? Guess I should have been more careful!

9. rockrat

rockrat

Don't know if it would work , but try some Berrymans B-12 chemtool carb cleaner, outside of course.

10. GrocMax

GrocMax

Nitromethane will dissolve cured loctite. Hobby store, glow plug hobby engine fuel.

Methanol will soften it up a bit.

11. waltersboy

waltersboy Silver $$ Contributor

Try some finger nail polish remover. Should take it off.

12. Rustystud

Rustystud Site $$ Sponsor

Monty a mixture of acetone and Kroil or acetone and transmission fluid.
    Nat Lambeth

13. milanuk

Hello Nat,

I've got a small bottle (vial) of the Loctite X-NMS stuff on order with a local parts store. Hopefully it'll be in later this week. In the mean time, I've been trying straight acetone per suggestions on another forum, as well as a few other things I had around the shop. Noxon 7 seemed to take off some of it, and I've got the bulk of it off the inside of the inner sleeve... but there is a spot where the outer body (this is a barrel tuner, FWIW) threads onto that sleeve where there is a ring of the gunk that I just can't get anything to do much good. And of course, it's almost exactly half-ways up the body, so getting up in there to is a pain to begin with. Maybe I'll get it out with some solvent, but I'm getting about half-tempted to find a local gunsmith or machine shop and see if they can chuck it up in a lathe and pick up the thread and just chase it out that way.

I've got some Aero-Kroil @ work that I can 'borrow'... I'll see if a little bit of that plus some acetone will do the trick.

Monte