Rem 700 single shot question

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by alphapygmy, Mar 25, 2020.

1. alphapygmy

alphapygmy Silver $$ Contributor

I'm building my first Remington 700 as an F-open gun. Single shot action, 30" 1.25 straight barrel. Would it help to machine the action for a third action screw in front of the trigger like a Savage PTA? I think I've heard the action is stiff enough for this much barrel but still curious on thoughts or experiences. Thanks

2. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

no it wouldn't help

Terry, Mark Buettgen, dmoran and 2 others like this.
  3. 6.5x47

6.5x47 Gold $$ Contributor

Can't see hurt' s anything

Attached Files:

4. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

5. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I have done the before and after testing of a center screw and pillar that was added in a BR rifle and re bedded accordingly. Listen to Dave.

Terry, dmoran and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  6. alphapygmy

2 screws it is. Thanks...

Anymore details on the front screw?

7. Will Henry

Will Henry

I like two screws ahead of the trigger group. In fact, I usually free float the tang and only fasten ahead of the trigger. I started doing this after having great success with a LV rifle I did this way in 1978 and I have mostly stayed with it. Not saying it's the best way, just that it's my preference. WH

8. alphapygmy

That's what I was thinking but hard to argue against Tooley and Wheeler's advice...

9. carlsbad

I countersunk the pillar with a flat bottom to take a standard CrMo 1/4 28 socket head capscrew. I turned the bottom of the head to be perfectly smooth and orthogonal to the axis.

6fatrat likes this.
  10. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

I'm running 3 screws in my current stock, but my next stock (in progress) will be two. I dont like the variability induced by the 3rd action screw.

11. Will Henry

Will Henry

If I didn't use the two screws ahead of the trigger, I always bedded with clearance under the middle of the receiver. Again, just my preference.
    The reason I started floating the tang was because I felt the trigger cutout made the stock more flexy at that point and I thought having the tang clear would make the rifle less affected by bag positioning. In addition, when doing a glue in, I didn't have to worry about glue in the trigger pin holes and stuff like that. This was all short range BR.
    Later, when I started shooting "F" class a bit and prone with a sling, I kept doing it that way just because it worked well for me.
    If I am bedding the tang, I still like having that middle screw but, the truth is, the rifles would probably shoot just as well without it.
    I have a dozen target rifles of various types and most are bedded with screws ahead of the trigger and the tang floated. They shoot fine but I stop short of saying that's the way to do it simply because I have seen, built, and shot too many done conventionally which shot just as well. There are few absolutes in life; even in rifle building. WH

12. alphapygmy

Will the 30" barrel work or would I potentially be better off cutting it to 28"?

13. carlsbad

32" straight profile barrel is not a problem.

14. 6fatrat

6fatrat SLING SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

I use these actions for my prone rifles, follow carlsbads advice for the action screws.
    Steve Bair