Reloading 45-70 and case bump when resizing

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by eolia33, Oct 30, 2019.

1. eolia33

eolia33

Hello,

I'am new to reloading, but i already strugle with the case rezising.

I use the full resizing tool from Lee, i use Lee Lub and my case are crystal clean.

But each time i got some bump on the case, could it be my fault, or might it be a faulty tool ?[​IMG] [​IMG]

I tried 4 times, 4 times the same happend, if i put again and again the same case, there is more and more "bump"

I tried to put different amount of lub, still happening.

Btw with those bumps, is it safe to still fire them ?

2. eolia33

eolia33

sorry pictures error :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. nicholst55

nicholst55 Brass Whore

Hydraulic dents, caused by excess case lube. Yes, they're safe to fire - the dent will blow out when you fire them.

butchlambert and SPJ like this.
  4. David101

David101

Are you sure that is being done by the resizing die and not on extraction? I dont see and scratches which I think would happen if it were a burr inside the die. The size of that dent and on a straight wall case very strange, clean the die and water down your lube dont use it straight from the tube. The lube just needs the smallest of smears even more so on a straight wall case.

5. AJC

AJC

Try a different lube. You could also clean your die and see if that helps.

OmegaRed likes this.
  6. Old Tanker

Old Tanker

I have Lee 45-70 dies and had to polish the inside of the sizing die with Filtz metal polish. Use Imperial Case Wax instead of the Lee product when sizing. I also backed the die out about 1 1/2 turns so I didn’t over size, up around the case mouth. Also, the expander plug in the expander die is very short - almost like it’s for a .45 ACP. I was getting a bulge when seating, so I switched to a Lyman M die for expanding. Problem solved.

7. 2506

Take the die apart and clean it. The Lee lube is water soluble so wash it out good. Then when you apply the lube to the case just put a light amount and LET IT DRY. This is a wax type lube that NEEDS TO DRY before you size the cases.

8. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Clean the insides of your die set, first. Then make sure you have them adjusted correctly in your press and set up as per instructions.
    Then try some Hornady's One Shot spray on the cases and also follow directions for it's use. Bet you solve your issue with the dents on the brass.

9. Pwc

Pwc

Not a bump...it's a dent caused by too much lube. It gets trapped betweem the case and die wall and can't squeeze out. Use less lube, smeared evenly on the case.

10. Tim s

Tim s

Take the Lee lube and throw it as far as you can, get some Royal case lube and use a bit on your fingers, about 90% reduction in force, wipe off with microfiber cloth.....pretty easy.

11. tharger

tharger

20 years reloading and lee lube is my go to lube. Dillon spray if doing more than 20 or so.

12. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Too much lube