Redding dies and storage boxes

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by warbird2006, Oct 22, 2016.

1. warbird2006

warbird2006 Silver $$ Contributor

Hi
    I am getting frustrated with the Redding green boxes which comes with the dies. I use Bonanza press and when I move the locking rings lower on the dies they don't fit the box.
    Forster and Whitten have nice large cases with enough space.
    Anyone has a solution for this problem?

2. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Since it is a 50 cent box, i just grab the wood bit, cut a hole in the end of the box and stick the die out the hole.

hunter243sgk and wvlongshot like this.
  3. Toolbreaker

Toolbreaker Gold $$ Contributor

I buy Forster boxes for all of my dies. There's enough room in one for a FL die, seater, collet die, Wilson case holder, bump gage and an OAL gage. Keeps all the goodies together in one package.

JRS likes this.
  4. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Another option: Piece of bent sheet metal, angle or wood with 7/8 holes. This one is sheet metal aluminum bent on a ninety attached to the end of my reloading bench.

20161023_115015.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Toolbreaker, JRS and shortgrass like this.
  5. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

The Whidden box and the Forster box are identical, just a different color and name. Call Whidden and buy a few boxes from them. That's what I do for my 338 Edge and 338 Lapua. They were $8.00 each when I bought them......

6. jimbires

jimbires Silver $$ Contributor

7. Baddog0302

Baddog0302

Measure the die / die sets for OAL, then either ask T.O.W.M.B.O or go with her to WalMart and pick up the number of the cheap small plastic containers. OR as "Hogpatrol" suggests, get a 7/8 wood hole drill bit, and 2 pieces of either 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 and the length determined by the storage area you want to keep your dies. Clamp the 2 pieces together, mark your spacing based on the OD of the locking rings. Drill an 1/8" pilot hole through both boards. Separate the boards and drill the 7/8" holes through one of the boards. Secure the two pieces together, and you are set. Remember the 1/8" pilot hole, now there is a place for the de caping pins to fit.

8. mikecr

mikecr

I use the semi-clear MTM storage boxes & put in them all particular needed for each cartridge(all dies, gizzys, mandrels, shell holders, bushings, shims, etc).
    BOXES.jpg