Rechambering from 6BR to (insert something here)

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by bored184, Dec 3, 2019.

1. bored184

bored184 Silver $$ Contributor

I've got a 30in 6br barrel with a 1-7.5 twist that I want to rechamber into something else that can push the 110-115 quicker then then 6br. What options do I have that allow me to keep as much of the barrel length as possible?

2. Nightraider

Nightraider

6gt

ToddKS likes this.
  3. STOMP442

STOMP442 Gold $$ Contributor

6mmXC and don't look back.

Sniper338, Tommie, Twicepop and 2 others like this.
  4. Wingnut00

Wingnut00 Gold $$ Contributor

6 comp match for the win!

5. bored184

What about the 6mm Remington?

6. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm

6mm Competition Match.

7. Kurz

Kurz

The simple and expedient method would be to cut off the tenon so you can get most of a new chamber and throat. If you don't cut off the tenon, be sure the shoulder area of the 6BR chamber is cleaned up by the new reamer. This requires measuring.

Personally I would cut off the tenon and start over with a new tenon and most of new chamber for the 6XC. But if you want to go bigger, the 6mm SLR will handle the call perfectly but the 6XC might be a better choice.

8. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

6mm Rem Ackley Imp.

Plumsask, Mark W and SBS like this.
  9. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

6xc all day, every day.

Use Tubbs reamer.

waltkrafft likes this.
  10. bored184

I just want to make sure I am understood correctly because I am in uncharted territories myself. In a perfect world I would like to keep as much of original tenon as possible and run a reamer in the existing 6BR chamber. Followed with what ever cleanup needs to be done because I know the barrel might have to be shorted to cleanup the shoulder area of the 6BR.

11. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

6xc, Tubbs reamer. :)

12. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

There are some cartridges mentioned here that will only require the new chamber reamer to be run into your existing chamber that will entirely clean up a 6 BR chamber, theoretically without any setback at all. The 6xc, 6MM Rem AI are two of those, as would be a 243 AI. The only part that is "theoretical" about that is the actual chamber dimension vs the new reamer. The main area of concern is at the back rather than at the shoulder, as they all share basically the same size at that area and they are all larger forward of that area. If one of those interests you, you can try it before setting it back. If it completely cleans up the rear of the old chamber..you're set. If not, it will with one revolution of setback(or less).
    Another option, that removes all doubt, is a 6-284, as it's considerably larger in all areas.

WyleWD and SBS like this.
  13. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Okay, and I found this out the hard way, depending on the number of rounds already down the barrel as 6BR is how you should determine just which method (rechamber or cut tenon off and chamber) you will need to use for best results.
    I decided one of my 6 Dasher barrels with quite a few rounds on it, chambered for a BAT, would be fun as a 6 Creedmoor. I had a reamer and prints showed it would clean up the old Dasher chamber. When I started shooting the new chamber it immediately showed pressure (and not just a little bit). I dropped the load by 2 grains, well below max, and tried it again. Still blew primer out of the case first round. To my surprise, even though the 6 Creedmoor chamber is much longer than a Dasher, very minute fire-cracking that had apparently been left over after the new chamber was cut. I cut off the tenon and redid the chamber in 6 Creedmoor again just to satisfy curiosity. No problems then.

14. bored184

The barrel may at most have about 300 rounds down it.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  15. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

6 Creedmoor will give you widely available quality components and dies for the foreseeable future.

B23, maxscm and SBS like this.
  16. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

6x47 lapua, but only if you've already lost all your hair.

17. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm

I'm curious to the chambering that you choose. There's an awful lot of good 6mm cartridges out there.

18. McGraw

McGraw Silver $$ Contributor

LOL, I’m a proud member of both clubs!

hogpatrol likes this.
  19. jrm850

jrm850

You already have the brass for a Dasher. Not sure if that is enough case for what you want to do though.

20. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

The BRX and Dasher with RL16 will both push 110SMK's at 3000+.

muleystalker and jrm850 like this.