Range box/chest

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Cory porter, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Cory porter

Cory porter Silver $$ Contributor

I am looking for advice on what you all use for transporting your gear to and from matches and range sessions. I travel a lot for work and I have found it to be much easier to keep all of my range and match stuff all together.

I just got a seb neo and would like to include it in a case. Will need other stuff like rear bags, ammo box, bolt.. etc etc.

Would something like this be be a good idea?

Attached Files:

2. Just Say Moe

Just Say Moe

I have had that exact box for about 20 years but am not a match shooter. Plenty of room in the top section for cleaning supplies, tools, and do dads. In the bottom section I store Jags, brushes, recoil pads, spotting scope, range finder, Harris Bipods etc. I kind of doubt a Seb Neo would fit in the bottom judging from the pictures I found. I think it might have to sit on its side instead of on its bottom

Have you looked at something like this? More box like and wider at the bottom - Craftsman - was on sale at Lowes

[​IMG]

3. Thud

Thud Gold $$ Contributor

Cory
    Don’t forget one important item to haul your stuff.
    A f250 4wd works wonders

jpx2rk and perry42 like this.
  4. Cory porter

I have a little suv that my company provides for me so for now the f250 is out of the cards

bsn likes this.
  5. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

F-250 is the automotive equivalent of a Creedmoor.
    Step up to a Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins. They let you park with the semi's at truck stops...

PS: just got back from Lowes. $79.99

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    'Freak and Just Say Moe like this.
  6. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

Ive been trying to figure out the same thing but to fit five shooters gear in. Two Joypods a Seb, sinclair bipod, bald eagle rest, ammo rear bags, ears, tools the list is never ending

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

You need a cargo trailer

8. Thud

Thud Gold $$ Contributor

I find it incredible the amount of stuff people take to the range for a match or just a range day.
    I usually take my rifle(forgot it once but that's another story), Ammo (forgot that once also don't go down that road.) And my rest and front and rear bags. They are always in the car.
    I drive a Subaru Imprezza and have no problems with caring my gear.
    Other guys show up with the whole friggen store and unload it and can't find anything.
    I rarely have a break down of stuff and If I do I ask the guys for help and they come through.
    But I make sure my stuff is gtg before I leave the house.
    I belive if you go by the KISS system (Keep it simple Sir) you will have a good shoot.
    But I know some people need stuff.

9. K22

K22

The good news is that you recognize that having all your range gear in a suitable container will avoid driving to the range without an essential item. I figured this out about 30 years ago after always forgetting something. My needs are a lot more simpler than most but the principle applies. I use an lightweight tool box that houses all my essential range gear. All I have to do is pickup of the ammo and the rifle I intend to shoot that range sessions with my gear box and I'm good to go.

My range box contains:
    - Spotting Scope
    - Targets (enough for several ranges sessions)
    - Staple Gun w/ pack of staples
    - Ear Protectors
    - Log Book w/ mechanical pencil / extra leads
    - Cold Weather Shooting Gloves
    - Small box of tools, i.e. hex and torx wrenches, screwdrivers, knife

If I'm load testing I have a separate box w/ bench gear, i.e. front and rear rests
    Since most range sessions I'm shooting off my shooting sticks I keep them in the truck so I never have to worrying about forgetting them.

I have a similar set up for my hunting gear; all of it contained in a canvas bag. All I have to do is grab the ammo and rifle and I'm ready to go bust ghogs / predators or white tails.

mikeinct likes this.
  10. Cory porter

All stuff you need.

Rest
    Bag
    Ammo
    Bolt/holster
    Super feet
    Maybe a small tool pouch.

Shooting a two rifle match, and having a use Seb Neo takes up space. My point was I’d rather have a cart or Christ with wheels to haul everything rather than packing 4 different cases. It’s not a matter of having trouble carrying the gear it’s allwoing me to have everything in one spot at all times.

I think you misunderstood my question

11. Bojo

Bojo

Still have not found a good way to hail stuff. But my equipment is constantly changing as I am just getting into the game. I have the exact same tool box the OP listed but I use it as a travel/pit box for atv/dirt bike rides. We quit riding a couple of years ago. I recently washed it out to load up as a range box. I keep thinking I need a cargo van to just simplify loading all our shit (3shooters) and keeping it dry in the rain as it always seems to rain on the first sunday of the month.

12. klamathsteel

klamathsteel

I'm a simple kind a guy aka cheapskate ;)

Attached Files:

'Freak likes this.
  13. michaeljp65

michaeljp65

If you dont reload at the range you can get away with a shoe box to carry your stuff. But if you load at the range you need space for a press, powder dispenser, flags, bags, stool(to sit on) etc etc etc. I use a "Stanley" cart on wheels and my Farley sits on the lid.

14. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

I use something similar to the rubbermaid tote but mine has a lid attached with hinges and split down the middle. Got 'em at lowes/HD. I have the luxury of being able to back right up to the shooting benches at my range, so I don't have the need for anything with wheels. One tote holds my BE front rest, rear bags, etc., another has targets, notepads, spotting scope, range supplies, etc. I keep a separate small bag with gun cleaning supplies and rods in a pvc tube.

15. SPJ

SPJ Whoops !! Gold $$ Contributor

That's pretty cool '
    Y'all take a look at Marina supply house, we use carts to haul stuff down to the boat, bigger wheels and very stable.

16. JohnW...ski

JohnW...ski

Why fool around with little tool boxes when something like this will get the job done.
    [​IMG]
    Merry Christmas,
    John

Bc'z, Longcarbine, Jackal2016 and 4 others like this.
  17. Rope.Chucker

Rope.Chucker

Cory, the thing that came to my mind with the box you pictured was that it looked thin and being black would get very hot in summer daytime temps, and possibly warp. And for $40, you get what you pay for... I have a couple of smaller tool boxes that have been black and warped from summer sun and high temps and I just want to drop kick them into next week!

The Craftsman box looked a lot more durable - still mostly black and may get hot and warp too.

I think I'd keep looking.

18. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

I have been looking for something for some time now. Problem is that a lot of shooting carts seem to be made for shotgunners or pistol shooters. When I look at all the gear I haul to the range for matches or practice, it is a load. A lot of it is longer than will fit into a case or too bulky (spotting scope stand, shooting mat, rifle, range bag).
    I have been looking at several cart systems but all would require me to add additional features to handle everything that I travel with. Haven't found that perfect item yet, but sure would be nice to.
    One of the shooters at our range who shoots nationally and has been on the US Palma team, has a van that is outfitted for traveling to the matches. Very nicely setup and everything gets secured in the back, a place for everything and everything in it place.

19. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

My bench reloading equipment is carried in one of my old Airline Chart bags, salesman's sample case. All the charts are electronic now. I have a box I bought at Tractor Supply set up with my other stuff. And a separate Pelican case for the SEB.

Bob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Zero333, simo hayha and Mulligan like this.
  20. kneedtospeed

kneedtospeed Tom Dunn Gold $$ Contributor

I'd rather Him sit with me at the bench, and Help me shoot, than wheel my cart around for me.;)