PRS Bread and Butter

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by xswanted, Jun 23, 2019.

1. xswanted

xswanted Gold $$ Contributor

Great stuff here.

Thank you!

Sheldon N, Dgd6mm and 300_whisper like this.
  2. 300_whisper

300_whisper Gold $$ Contributor

Tagging in, great question and thread.

3. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Site $$ Sponsor

This. Read this, memorize it, and then read it again.

The third paragraph is quite possible the most important. Moving is becoming more and more of a challenge. Shoot 2 shot's at target A and B from left side of barricade, then shoot 2 more shot's at target A and B in that order, but from the right side of the barricade. Dialing your scope each time, readjusting, etc. All that add's up time. And they are now coming up with difficult positions. While going through the stage in your head you think "ok I can see target C from prone, no problem." But then when you lay down you realize there is a bluff between you and the target, so you have to shoot of the barricade "conveniently" placed next to that position. And you just wasted 20 precious seconds of time...

I am lucky enough to have a 1000 yard range on my property, and I've set up a barricade, a pole climber, and a pole barricade. I've got a good buddy that shoots with me, and we go out early mornings when we don't have anything going on and practice. Make it a game, come up with your own "stage" and see who cleans it. Loser buys beer. Great way for both of us to get some practice in, and fine tune our discipline.

Sheldon N likes this.
  4. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Excellent thread xswanted, I'm glad you started it.

xswanted likes this.
  5. xswanted

Thank you,

I’ve been eyeing PRS events for quite a awhile and only shot one real one but I had fun.

Most of the misconceptions I had about it were wrong.

I learned a lot about adapting to odd shooting positions in a short amount of time.

And did I mention I had fun?

I’d like to learn more about it so I know what to practice and how to practice. Not necessarily to try win anything but at least be able to feel really good about what I’m doing if and when I go shoot another one.

I love F Class, benchrest and silhouette shooting so I figured I’d add this to the list of shooting sports I can throw my hand in at.

I like learning from accurateshooter as well as opposed to other gun/shooting forums. I feel like people here are more legit, “I’ve already done it and I can actually help you” type of people rather than some of the “experts” found elsewhere.

300_whisper and Dgd6mm like this.
  6. 300_whisper

300_whisper Gold $$ Contributor

@xswanted i did my first real PRS match in January and it was eye opening for me. I really want to get big into it. I’m trying to balance career progression, young family, and firearms. It’s hard!!

xswanted likes this.
  7. xswanted

Same boat here!

I don’t know if I want to go head over heels into it but I’d like to shoot 3 or 4 a summer and try to at least compete. With the exception of benchrest, I’ve been fortunate enough to win a shoot in about every rifle discipline I’ve tried so it’d be a real feather in the hat to win one doing this. I don’t know if that can happen, but it’ll be fun at least giving it a try.

Nature Boy, Zilla and Dusty Stevens like this.
  8. linebaugh

linebaugh Silver $$ Contributor

Lots of very positive posts here and everyone has the right ideas. Go shoot and have fun. You will meet a great bunch of guys, improve your shooting skills and learn a lot at the same time.

Don't take yourself too seriously out of the gate. I did that and it nearly ruined the sport for me the fist season I shot. Shoot against yourself, do your best and don't worry about beating anybody but yourself. At the end of the day if that means you are in first or last place it matters not as long as you did your best and can live in your own skin.

I will make a comment about trying to win a match as a newbie. There are some hella good shooters out there and they have been doing it a while so they are ahead of the cart. Winning a match is a very high mark these days. Nothing wrong with having a 1st place goal but you are going to earn it and you can take that to the bank.

Great thread and you got a bunch of great advice here. Thanks for posting

xswanted, 300_whisper and Dgd6mm like this.