Protektor rest

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by jmcmath, Apr 1, 2020.

1. jmcmath

jmcmath

Anyone used one of the new-ish protektor aluminum rests? Interested in getting a first rest and bag set for load development and dabbling. Is it worth the 200$? Or skip it and just buy a Sinclair?

2. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

A friend of mine uses one and is very happy with it. I used it once and it was almost as nice as my original Bald eagle rest. I would say well worth the money.

jmcmath likes this.
  3. jmcmath

jmcmath

Thanks!

4. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

My progression:

Had an old cast iron rest my Dad used in the 60's. Used it for many years

1. Decided I wanted to try a Bald Eagle rest, planned to get aluminum version. Shooting buddy told me, don't get the aluminum rest, get the much heavier cast iron. Then he showed me an aluminum Caldell rest he had to add weight to the underside of it to make it work. So I bought the cast iron version and have been happy with it. Eliminated the cable windage, but turns out I adjust with the rear bag.

2. Added a rifle that needs a flat front bag. Took this opportunity to buy the Sinclair rest, but I saved almost 50% by getting the rest without windage adjustment. Some may think I made a mistake. So far, I don't think so. The Sinclair rest is really nice. Can't say it improves my score over the Bald Eagle, but it really has nice features and I love it. Also upgraded my rear bag to a mini gator.

If you buy the Protektor, ask yourself, whey do they sell the heavy plate to use with it? Costs more than the rest.

I shoot off a concrete bench mostly. Maybe the lighter rest would work with the feet dug into wood?

jmcmath likes this.
  5. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

Was there a reason to eliminate the cable windage? Just asking

6. biggun2869

biggun2869 Silver $$ Contributor

A friend has one w/cable. No matter what we have tried, they move from backlash. If you have one that works it would be the 1st i've seen

7. D-4297

D-4297 Silver $$ Contributor

I got the Bald Eagle with the cable adjuster , and had the same issues with it . :eek: Removed the cable and re-installed the very nice machined knob on a "modified screw . No movement or backlash now . :D

butchlambert, LA50SHOOTER and MGYSGT like this.
  8. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

Also removed the Cable from the Bald Eagle. Then put the knob to direct attach to the horizontal movement thing. Perfect.

D-4297, Mark W and USMCDOC like this.
  9. USMCDOC

USMCDOC

What he said.jpg

D-4297 and Dub like this.
  10. K9TXS

K9TXS

If I didn't already have the Sinclair rest, I would buy the Protektor rest. Protektor was not available at the time. I saw the Protektor rest at the SHOT SHOW this year. Very nice. The Sinclair I have weighs in around 30 lbs. It's a bitch to lug around. I have the base of some old rest that resembles the Protektor. I plan on make a specialty rest with it.

11. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I believe that Caldwell makes the Protektor.

12. jghoghunter

I don't know if they do or not BUT if they do they do alot better job on the protektor than they do the caldwell

13. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I'll say they are virtually the same base and the 7/8"X6 acme thread on the one that I had my hands on is the same, but the Protektor bagtop is much nicer.. The finish on the Protektor was better.

jghoghunter likes this.
  14. JB10

JB10

My brother-in-law has one and likes it. I chose the Caldwell version. Lot heavier. We both melted lead into bottom of the legs. Mine had a lot more weight to it and i prefer it vs the aluminum.

15. jghoghunter

My buddy that shoots next to me has one and used it once and I had a Caldwell years ago. It's just my opinion that the protector minus the lightweight issue is a nicer rest. To be fair also he has that highly over priced plate on the bottom. Just my .02.

16. Bill Norris

Bill Norris Gold $$ Contributor

I purchased a used B E cable driven windage adjustable top from a member here on the site that he had that issue with but he swapped out the springs with a couple of lighter tension. It works very good with no backlash for me. Don't know what the spring tension is on the ones he installed as replacement.