Pros/Cons to gluing an action

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Boisblancboy, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Boisblancboy

Boisblancboy

Could someone explain the advantages and drawbacks of gluing in an action?

How do you removed a glued action? Once a glued action is removed what’s steps need to be taken on the stock and the action to re-glue it?

2. geo.ulrich

geo.ulrich beware of owner Gold $$ Contributor

I have both its easier to get stress free bedding with a glue in. that being said I prefer screw in its just harder to get it and KEEP it stress free. they can be unglued with a clothes iron and barrel in a barrel vice just heat action it will fall off after 10 or so minutes. to reglue just grind out most of the old glue and glue it back making sure action is level and straight....

Boisblancboy likes this.
  3. varget204

varget204

Never heard of glueing an action to a stock,If your going to glass bed a barreled action,recommend epoxy pillars front and rear,them epoxy w[DEVCON ] the action,Johnson's paste wax or clear shoe polish are great release agents,Many sites list procedures for bedding a barreled action

4. gilmillan1

gilmillan1

Gluing more accurate.

billlarson likes this.
  5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Its all in what youre doing with it. Glue ins are the most accurate. Its handy to be able to do it yourself if youre one of those guys that have to tinker with stuff. If all you need is 1moa dont worry about it. Its not going to make a hunting rifle shoot benchrest groups

hpshooter and Boisblancboy like this.
  6. comagutsa

comagutsa

My panda has been glued in my McMillan f class stock for 3yrs now without a problem.. never had to take it out.. I use and internal action wrench when I need to swap barrels ..

Rushty likes this.
  7. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

I have never had a reason to take a glue in out of its stock. The trigger comes out with it glued in. What other reason would there be to take one apart?

8. Dusty Stevens

People love to tinker. I give em a hard pull every once in a while. If it needs to be reglued youll hear it pop. I have some that have been glued in since the 90’s (round bottom remingtons too). I think a lot of heat like in a locked up trunk in the summer will break em loose sometimes

9. The Pumpkin

The Pumpkin Gold $$ Contributor

Almost any Airline can unglue a action from a stock for you.

10. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

You can't get a better fitting bedding job than a properly glued action.

Ray

11. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Silver $$ Contributor

Benefits: it’s glued in and not going to move. Down sides: it’s glued in and not going to move.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  12. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

My first choice will likely always be, glued and screwed. Why...because glue only fails at the worst possible time! Lol! Really, glue is fine for many years, most of the time. The only time it's not...is when it's not.

Curiously, when I was doing vibration testing for tuners, I had a glued and screwed gun that we tested both ways. We tested and measured frequencies, then I removed the screws and scope..and laid an iron on top. It came out nice and clean. I then screwed it right back in at the same torque setting....just a good bedding job at this point. It shot fine both ways but at different tuner settings and the frequencies measured at the muzzle were a bit different. It's a joint in the system..No matter what you do short of unitizing parts by welding or gluing, there is movement. The movement is at high frequencies, that I don't think hurt us or simply get lost in the noise. Nevertheless...all else equal, the muzzle vibrated at a different frequency as opposed to being glued and screwed. FWIW--Mike

mikeinct, swd, USMCDOC and 8 others like this.
  13. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Silver $$ Contributor

Here’s the subtle thing - it doesn’t even have to move to vibrate differently. If the interface between the two parts is stiffer or more compliant, the frequency will change. One is not necessarily worse than the other, but assuming they’re both solidly put together and not moving, they’ll still be a little different.

14. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

varget204,

go to a big BR match sometime. 90%+ will be shooting glueins.

Rodney likes this.
  15. Dusty Stevens

I bet its more than that rich- i know in short range br you wont even hardly find a remington thats not glued in. Of course some guys have non-br gunsmith build their first rifle and most of those are not glued in until the first barrel changeout

16. Al Lu

Al Lu Silver $$ Contributor

Sorry to ask but what kind of glue for are they using ? Only one kind/brand? I don't work on guns just curious.

17. Dusty Stevens

Most use jb weld.

USMCDOC likes this.
  18. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

I guess I must just be missing out on the accuracy then. Mine are all pillar bedded.

The one stock has shot 3s, 4s, 5s at williamsport matches (10 shot groups for those that dont know) and just placed 3rd at the ridgway two day championship match, and it's been a consistent shooting rifle there.

Another stock I only shot at 1k paper once and it shot a 4.88" at the world open last year. It is also a 12# silhouette gun.

My other stock is currently leading the group agg (I'm sure at least until I post this lol as I just jinxed myself) in light gun at williamsport.

Do I like to tinker? Not really, but I'm still just finding my way, what I like, and finding things I think can help my form. So sometimes the action needs to come out of the stock, and sometimes it's late in the night right before a match. The guys I know who are usually at the top of the aggs at williamsport are also pillar bedded. Everyone that I regularly shoot with is the same.

Sure is nice knowing I can switch things around in a matter of minutes if need be or take an action, and everything out for a cleaning if you pull a bullet or similar.

But everyone has their own preferences.

ledward, Bc'z and dmoran like this.
  19. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

Doesn't mean it couldn't have been better

Ray

20. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

That may be so, but that's not a gamble I'm willing to risk. Like I said, everyone has their preferences, but a good pillar bedded rifle will shoot, and consistently.

geo.ulrich and dmoran like this.