Open sight and scope info

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Digdugarmy, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Digdugarmy

Digdugarmy

2 questions if anyone has a minute to give me some first hand feedback...
    1. I inherited an old Winchester 30-30 model 94 from my grandfather. Operates and fires perfectly. Hooded front site; patridge rear site. Sentimentally I hesitate to change anything about it but i have terrible eyesight as it is.What recommendations would you make for upgrading the rear site without dratically changing the look gun?

2. Just bought a savage 220. I have my own ideas for a scope but want to know what y'all out there are using and how you like it. Thank you much!

2. Turbulent Turtle

Turbulent Turtle F-TR competitor

1. I would look at replacing the front sight with something that has a fiber optic insert to help your terrible eyesight find the front sight. You say it's hooded, and to me that makes the current one even more unusable. After you have installed a new front sight, you might decide to do something to the rear sight, or you may not.

2. I don't know much about scopes, but I do know enough to ask what kind of shooting do you do with the Savage. What range? What size target? What caliber? Most important, what budget?

3. Lesloan

Lesloan

I can't speak to the Savage without more info, as TT sez above. For the '94, though, a good receiver peep sight like the Williams Foolproof should do the job. Since a receiver sight will almost certainly require a taller front sight, I'd replace this first, then decide whether to go for a fiber optic front sight. A slotted hood on the front sight will let more light in.