Newbie and rings

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Charles McDonald, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Charles McDonald

Charles McDonald

I have a new rifle. It has a Remington 700 sa clone. I bought a sightron off these classifieds . Last thing I need are rings. I know I'll need to do some measurements for height so iam not asking about that more just about rings in general my only gun buddy says talley two piece. I say ok. But I ve been researching all these subjects and there are many ways to skin a cat it seems the rifle is for me to learn to shoot farther at paper and for antelope/deer next season. Dont think I'll need more moa but could be wrong I'll check. I have researched so much now iam having analysis paralysis! So pros and cons of recognizable brands or styles or simply a consensus on what accurate shooters agree are really good rings ? I have no problems with budget but do not need to have 2k dollar custom machined titanium either. If I get a antelope next year it will cost me 5k before I ever pull the trigger to miss lol!! A gunsmith will lap and mount the scope.Thanks!

2. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

You are likely to get more variety in responses than if you asked what is the best way to clean a rifle.

I use many different brands/styles.

That said Warne are probably my favorite with the vertical split. You can use their selector and input action, scope tube, and objective and they will show you what they have to offer.

I lap rings that need it. I have never had to lap Warne rings and never had them leave a mark. And they are reasonably priced and stout.

https://warnescopemounts.com/scope-mount-selector/

3. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

If this is primarily a hunting rifle, you might also give some consideration to bases so as to provide easy access to your loading port.

I'm a guy with baloney fingers, and learned a long time ago that two piece bases are my key to happiness with scope mounts.

If a gunsmith is involved, he can help you with choice of height for your scope. That is also very important on a hunting rifle. If you close your eyes, and shoulder your rifle, when you open your eyes you should be looking through your scope.

If you're like many of us, you're going to buy twice before you get it right.:p Don't worry, every good rifleman should have a shoe box full of mounts and bases that you can rummage around in every time you get another rifle. jd

Chuckhunter likes this.
  4. boltfluter

boltfluter

Burris Signature rings on a weaver style base for the win . The best of the best and reasonably priced. You can also build in MOA if needed. They never slip or mark up your scope.

Happy shooting!

Paul

Harvey McCraw likes this.
  5. Danoh

Danoh Gold $$ Contributor

Second that! All I ever use anymore.

Harvey McCraw likes this.
  6. Gary in MD

Gary in MD Gold $$ Contributor

What boltfluter said above!!
    Gary

7. Charles McDonald

Charles McDonald

Ugh...now I have to google weaver bases lol!
    But just for fun tell me WHY they are your choice (in layman's terms please) I feel like I could build a rifle from a chunk of metal now and I have chores to do for my wife . Shes not happy!

8. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

The Burris Signatures:
    • will not mar your scope because of the synthetic inserts
    • allow you to build in MOA (slope) with available eccentric inserts
    • fit most any sort of cross slot base, including picatinny
    How's that?;)

Dgd6mm likes this.
  9. Charles McDonald

Charles McDonald

Perfect!!!!
    Now if I only understood what you where talking about!!!
    Only thing that seems contrary to others in the world...is using an insert? That makes perfect sense. You can make adjustments. Most times those come at some reliability cost though. I mean hard fastened vs an insert? Does this ever apply? And how hard is it to understand when you need him the "adjustments and how skilled to make them? Iam in no why trying to argue , just understand. Thanks

10. olddav

olddav

If you are going to use a one piece base then bed it. Mass produced actions are rarely perfect and bedding will avoid inducing stress on the base. As far as rings go I tend to like lapping them (new preference) and bed if necessary. Good luck how ever you proceed. You can’t go wrong with following the consensus of the majority of members.

11. 10XSHOOTER

10XSHOOTER

I use the Warne 2 pc steel bases. Burris Z rings on a Custom Rem 700 .340 Wby. Scope has never moved in many Elk Dying with this rifle.

12. HTSmith

The best thing I can tell you is to go to the Burris site and check out the pictures and descriptions. The inserts are bushings that are clamped into the rings. Once clamped (screwed down) they don't move. The process to gain more elevation is to use a different set of inserts (bushings). No issues with movement that I have found or even heard of.

It sounds way more complicated than it is. If you can change a car tire, you can install these and by their design there is no need for lapping.

BTW If you have a skilled and honest gunsmith, do what she or he recommends and forget all the internet experts ;).

Dgd6mm likes this.
  13. Gary in MD

Gary in MD Gold $$ Contributor

OP
    Here is a scope I had mounted on a hunting rifle for about 10+ years. Using those Burris rings, the scope never moved and of course there are no ring marks.
    89D65764-E8F9-466D-8024-A49F8C33488D.png

Dgd6mm likes this.
  14. newbieshooter

newbieshooter :-) Silver $$ Contributor

Here's an old video that shows the Burris insert system. This should give you a visual idea of how it works.

15. Charles McDonald

Charles McDonald

Ok last question...do the scope I bought , a sightron sIII 6x24x50 has 100 minutes of elevation advertised. So I read that's 50 above and 50 below.? I only understand this in the most basic way. My question is will I need a moa base to reach 1k yards with my 6.5 prc? And does that limit close shots? Of course this will be just in a target practice situation not hunting . And do 2 piece bases have moa also? My rifle is a top load. Thanks!!!!!!!!

16. HTSmith

Theoretically its 50 above and 50 below, but there's no way to guarantee you'll get 50 moa up from your zero. But it should be plenty to get you the 25 or so moa you'll need for your combo without a sloped base to get to 1k yards. That is a huge amount of adjustment range in a scope.

17. Dud

Dud

Weaver base is pretty much a generic phrase these days.

I think Leupold and Warne make nicer bases that are a bit more expensive but still value choices. I'm sure there are other good choices and some Weaver brand are good but skimping on bases is probably only going to save $30 or less, cheap isn't worth it.

Warne vertical split rings can be a major pain to set up. I have a set, they are nice, but I doubt I'll ever buy another.

I do more target shooting so my latest setup is a Leupold Backcountry one piece base made from 7075 aluminum and Vortex Tactical rings (6 screw). The rings are cheap but I ream them in place for perfect alignment. If they don't work out for some reason, I'll probably switch to Burris XTR Signature rings (which won't need reaming due to the inserts).

I did bed my scope base to have a zero stress installation but I also angle bedded it to increase the slope (my base already had 20 MOA built in). I did it because I'm trying to make it dial to 1 mile+. At close range I won't be using the center of the optical path but I should be able to do a 100 yard zero. I bore sighted it about 8 MOA off the scope bottomed out, hopefully that will give me enough margin to get to zero.

With a 6.5 PRC, you should not need any slope to dial for 1,000 yards. If you want to try farther, 20-30 MOA of slope is a good idea.

If you go with two piece bases, the Burris Signature rings are probably the way to get slope if you want it.