New Lightweight 300 Norma Improved Ready for the Range

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by Ledd Slinger, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Been working on this hunting 300 NMI project most of the year and finally have her ready for the range. The goal was to build a good long range hunting rifle in a heavy hitting 30 cal round and keep it under 10 lbs with all components, not including a scope/rings. Mission accomplished!

Action: Kelby Atlas Tactical Lapua w/.750" bolt and 20 moa pinned rail
    Trigger: Bixn' Andy TacSport PRO - Set at 4 oz.
    Barrel: Proof Carbon Fiber full sendero, 26", 1 in 9
    Chamber: 300 NMI, 35 deg shoulder, .339" Neck
    Brake: MBM Titanium Beast 4 port
    Stock: AG Composites "Chalk Branch" - 100% carbon fiber stock
    Bottom Metal: PTG dbm assembly with 5 round AICS 338 Lapua magazine
    Bipod: Chinese knockoff of carbon fiber LRA Light Tactical bipod (actually really good quality for a Chinese product)

Total Weight
    (ALL components listed above):
    9 lbs. 5 oz. Weighed as pictured below.

20190731_233242.jpg

As for the build, I do all my own stock work and bedding. Action and scope rail bedded with Marine Tex. Scope rings have not been installed yet, but I will also bed those with JB Weld.

Bedding job pictured below. Yeah I know, I know...barrel isnt fully free floating with bedding under the barrel. Well I wanted it that way. I dont know why, but I seem to find more forgiveness with hunting rifles having the first 1" of the barrel breech bedded so that's how I do it ;)

20190731_234507.jpg

For the barrel and brake work, I was lucky enough to get the rifle in with @Alex Wheeler for installation amongst his busy schedule. I've had a LOT of rifles built over the years and I can say just by looking at Alex's work that he is a perfectionist. The chamber cut is a work of art when looking at it under the borescope. Brake to barrel mating is seamless and perfectly aligned with the bore. Excellent work by Alex. Definitely a top notch smith. Now it's up to me to get the thing shooting :)

20190731_234533.jpg

20190731_235434.jpg

20190731_230733.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    JLT, rpierce, DirtySteve and 6 others like this.
  2. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

That bedding is perfect! Whatever your doing keep doing it. This looks to be the ultimate long range hunting machine. Very nicely done!! Looks like Alex did a first rate job on his part too. :D:D

Paul

3. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Tell more about the bipod and it's weight. Compare it to the Atlas carbon bipod.

4. Ledd Slinger

Bipod can be found here:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lra+bipod&_sacat=7301&LH_PrefLoc=1

Weight is kinda heavy for a hunting pod, but considering the width and adjustability, it's not that bad. I added a little weight to the pod by installing some 1/4-20 studs and claw inserts for better grip on the ground. Also notched the inside of the feet for better grip without claws. Total pod weight is 21.7 oz with added claws.
    The one bad thing about the bipod is you cant change the feet and they are hard plastic. That's why I added the claws and studs. Other than that, is solid aluminum construction with stainless steel on the moving parts where you need it. This bipod has only cant and height adjustment. It does not swivel.

So rifle without the bipod weighs in at just over 7 lbs 15 oz

20190801_075539.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  5. 284winner

Are those pad claws available from the same company or will the Atlas spike feet work on those legs ?

6. wedgy

wedgy Gold $$ Contributor

Nice rig !
    What length can you get in the mag, what bullet are you planning to shoot ?
    have you chosen an optic yet ?
    I know N570 has been the go to powder for the NM
    Can't wait to see some targets !

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  7. Rube Shooter

Rube Shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Absolutely impressive, I like how the pattern on the barrel blends with the camo pattern of the stock.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  8. Ledd Slinger

Claws are from ACE Hardware ;)

Feet are not removable so no, Atlas feet will not work.

9. Ledd Slinger

3.750"-ish in the mag. I have N570 to work with as well as RL33 and IMR 8133. I have Berger 230s and 215s on hand but will probably shoot the 215s for hunting.

10. 284winner

In the video from the product it showed the plastic/rubber leg feet remove showing a hollow carbon tube. Figured the Atlas spike feet would slide in those tubes

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  11. 6ShotsOr5?

6ShotsOr5? Gold $$ Contributor

Damn, I didn’t know I even wanted a new hunting rifle! That’s mighty fine!

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  12. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Very professional looking bedding job!

Ledd Slinger and DirtySteve like this.
  13. Ledd Slinger

Hmmm...maybe I didnt pull hard enough? Lol. I stopped when it felt like something was gonna break. ;)

14. 284winner

Check out ptt-outdoor.com
    They have a short video on that bipod if it's the same one that you purchased. Shows her removing the rubber/plastic leg caps.

15. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Good job Ledd! That bed job is primo.

JLT and Ledd Slinger like this.
  16. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

^^^^^^ What Hogpatrol said! ^^^^^^

Outstanding work! Almost a shame to screw anything on top of that bedding job and hide it from view . . . almost. Really nice-looking rig.

284winner and Ledd Slinger like this.
  17. Ledd Slinger

Here's some photos of the AG Composites Chalk Branch stock. I like the low profile on the forearm for a lower center of gravity. I installed the picatinny rail on the stock a while back for use with a large bipod and 3" bag riding adapter.

20190610_164755.jpg

20190802_181016.jpg

18. Ledd Slinger

Got the 34mm Spuhr scope mount rings bedded and scope mounted. Scope is the Trijicon Accupower 4.5-30x56. The combination of the big Spuhr mount and scope adds about 46 oz to the weight. Rifle weighs in at 12 lbs 6 oz now.

That's a little heavier than I want to be. I have a really lightweight Magpul bipod I could use. Probably use the LRA for load development then switch to the Magpul for hunting. The Magpul will help me to shave off 10 oz on total weight.

20190418_111000.jpg

Then I may have to swap scopes. Been waiting for my local NF dealer to get in some NX8s. Using the 4-32×50 would shave off 8 oz for the optic then I'd go to a 30mm mount which would shave another 2-3 oz. I have also ordered a new Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50 riflescope so need to see how that scope performs when it arrives. That would also help me to shave off about the same amount as using a NX8 and 30mm mount.

Choices choices....I absolutely love the ruggedness and amazing optics in the Trijicon, but it really adds a ton of weight to a rifle designed to be light. With the Magpul bipod, 30mm mount and a Meopta or NF NX8 scope, I could probably get the rifle down to around 10 1/2 to 11 lbs.

Bc'z likes this.
  19. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Let us know how it shoots.

20. Ledd Slinger

Heading to Alaska for a week long fishing trip tomorrow but will try to get a couple rounds downrange when I get back.