New Bench Rest build. Donor 40x action 308BF

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by 243Lapua, Sep 17, 2019.

1. 243Lapua

243Lapua Silver $$ Contributor

Just decided to retire my Remington 40x KS in 308. Now my plan is to have a gunsmith build me a Bench Rest rifle
    Yea I do know there are better actions out there. Just wanting to put something together to shoot 100-200 yards. What would be the preferred caliber for mid range BR. 30br, 6br or any other specific low recoil cartridge is what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find which caliber I can use for this yardage. What is recommended, before I order the barrel. Any specific length and contour. Thanks 243lapua

Hal likes this.
  2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Why not go with the ppc? The 30br would only be my choice in a hv weight score rifle- not for shooting groups if thats what you want to do

gmorris likes this.
  3. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

You would probably need an updated extractor to shoot PPC, something carlsbad could do. As is, 6BR would probably be my choice. Maybe a 6 Dasher though I have no
    experience with it.

4. 243Lapua

243Lapua Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks. Spoke with Mr. Bryant and that's what he recommended. His build me several hunting rifles for me. So this will be my first 6ppc BR rifle. He said he need to redo the bolt to accept the ppc bolt face. And at the same time square the action. I just want something I can punch holes in paper and have fun at the local matches. Thanks

dgeesaman and butchlambert like this.
  5. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

You picked a very good man!

284winner likes this.
  6. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

And a good caliber choice. You will have a large time:)

7. rangertim

rangertim Gold $$ Contributor

He shoots them as good as he builds them ! Mike is top notch