New and lighter Ezell Tuners!!

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by gunsandgunsmithing, Feb 26, 2020.

1. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I've been working on a lighter tuner for a while now and it finally looks like we have something worth talking about. I'm still testing and verifying small details with it but it's encouraging enough that I'll post a couple of pics and throw it out there to the wolves. I will not be discontinuing the Gen I tuners with the .875-32 TPI...They are still the flagship tuner on the market, where weight allows. But, there is a need, particularly for the LV group shooters, for a tuner that really works well and is lighter than the Gen I. IMHO, making weight for a given class and doing so with a gun that handles well is paramount within the LV class. Hence, the new model...I won't give away the details except to say that it was extremely important that I can maintain a consistent message about how to use both tuners, yet them weight different amounts. That took some bit more thought and testing than meets the eye!

Trust me when I say this...My Particle Dampening Technology is NOT going anywhere! Testing rubbers and silicones as dampening components against it proved to be an absolute no brainer! The particle dampening is the cat's behind! I can find nothing feasible that can compare to it!
    That said, I had to work within design parameters that will allow it to weigh less, still incorporate the tungsten pdt..yet allow my message about how to use and adjust it to be the same or very near what I've harped for years. There has always been confusion about how to use a tuner and different instructions for two models was a NO GO! We're there or very close with some fudge room built in for final design.

These are not yet in production but will be very soon, it appears. Thank you all! I'm doing my best to fill the needs of the best shooters and people in the world of accuracy, and to stay abreast of the needs of us all in this sport. Tuner sales this year have exceeded my wildest expectations already and it continues to grow, apparently...and with room to continue so, as more and more people move to using them.

Also, with the new ITAR regulations coming into effect, I will soon be announcing a new exporter for my tuners and expect to see distributors in other countries in the coming months. I'm pretty stoked about this!

Anyway, here's a couple of pics. There is very, very little wasted weight in this thing. The current prototypes that are working so well are 4.6 ounces. That weight may go up or down slightly for production models, after more testing. The Gen I tuners weigh right at 6.5 ounces, fwiw.

Production models will have numbers engraved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  2. jobhopper66

jobhopper66 Gold $$ Contributor

Looks awesome Mike.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  3. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

4. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Thank you my friend! The flutes look cool but are for weight reduction. Looks are a byproduct.

5. gunsandgunsmithing

Being upfront and honest...other than looks, less weight is the benefit of this model. But it does look pretty damn cool too!

BenPerfected and Mulligan like this.
  6. J.J. Coe

J.J. Coe Silver $$ Contributor

Looks great Mike! Will this use the same muzzle dimensions as the .875-32 gen 1?

7. gunsandgunsmithing

Yes, if your barrel was threaded to class 2A thread specs, it will interchange. Some simply thread to fit the part in hand, to which I can't guarantee fit from lot to lot but it will likely take no or very little fitting for it to work. So, yes...it will likely work with no mods and any mods should be a simple job for your smith IF needed at all. These are running near minimum tolerances for a class 2 thread fit.

J.J. Coe likes this.
  8. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

Outstanding!!!!!
    CW

9. Medic505

Medic505 Gold $$ Contributor

Can I get in line now?

10. Willow

Willow

I'd be interested in buying one of these if you can ship to Australia.

11. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

I have seen some evidence that turning down the barrel at the muzzle and cutting threads to fit a tuner or brake can cause the bore to expand slightly. Alex, or Mike, what is your experience in this regard, and is rolling threads a better approach to cutting? Has anybody tried rolling vs cutting the threads for brakes and tuners?

What, if any accuracy loss occurs if the bore expands?

Thanks in advance for quenching my thirst for knowledge.

12. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

Who cares if they work. They look nice.
    We’ve found that even four ounces works as a tuner so you’re in high cotton.

13. gunsandgunsmithing

These are .875-32 threaded tuners. That leaves a lot of meat around the bore, for starters. I've seen bores open when turned considerably smaller, say 1/2-28 that still shot great.

The bore grows every time you pull the trigger due to pressure...particularly on a centerfire.

Bottom line, it's not an issue and this is a good subject for a different thread. Thanks.

p.s.--my best barrel last season is a 1.250 straight, button rifled barrel, threaded for my tuner.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Mulligan, Stan Taylor and Texas10 like this.
  14. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks, Mike. I look forward to continuing this discussion on a different thread. I'm new to using a tuner and am also of the opinion that they are the cat's behind!

15. gunsandgunsmithing

They really are an amazing tool! Thanks!

Mulligan likes this.
  16. gunsandgunsmithing

I'm working with an exporter now to address just that. I'll update later. Hoping for a March date.

Willow and Stan Taylor like this.
  17. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

There's a plus if you don't shoot good you will look good doing it.:cool:

18. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

In short range (100-200 yard ) score with a .30 BR, they work well and that’s with an heavy varmint taper barrel and a four ounce tuner so we know they work well. It’s amazing how small an adjustment is needed and how well it works when you are close in the first place. There’s are here.

19. gunsandgunsmithing

I'd rather win ugly than to lose pretty...but it doesn't hurt to look good at both!;):D

Stan Taylor likes this.
  20. gunsandgunsmithing

True, a light tuner will definitely tune a rifle but I've seen plenty of reason to believe that a heavier one has clear benefits. One is that it lowers the frequency further. That's just a fancy way of saying that the barrel vibrates slower, hence the nodes are wider. Second is, more muzzle deflection. That's a pretty big deal because it makes tune(or lack of) more apparent on paper. I can't tune for what I can't see.

Yes, lighter tuners do work but there are pros and cons to them. Neither of which matters if you can't make weight or the gun is too muzzle heavy to handle well.