Neck Bushing Size For 6PPC 262 Neck

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Nick Caprinolo, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

My 6PPC barrel has a .262 neck. My brass is cut to .0085 neck thickness. I have been using a 259 bushing. Bullets do not seem to fit tight and if a round is chambered and then extracted, the bullet will remain in the barrel causing a mess.

I have the next two smaller bushing and am leaning towards the .257. I assume that if I do this, I will need to adjust the powder load. Am I correct?

jimmymac likes this.
  2. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Nick, too much bullet in the lands. I don't think a tighter bushing is a good fix.

joshb likes this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

256-257 is what you need

D Coots and Tim Singleton like this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dont try to unload a live round from a ppc. Always clear it by firing if possible.

butchlambert and jimmymac like this.
  5. Nick Caprinolo

I don't know, I set the bullets to barely kiss the lands. There is no felt resistance when chambering a round.

6. Mikemci

Mikemci Gold $$ Contributor

I have the same chamber and neck thickness, as you. I have found the 258" bushing gives me the best accuracy. I tested from .256" to .260".
    YMMV

Nick Caprinolo and Gennaro64 like this.
  7. liljoe

liljoe Silver $$ Contributor

Its not the resistance felt when closing the bolt, its how big the mark is on the bullet when you check it after chambering it.
    I would also agree about trying a smaller bushing.

Joe Hynes

joshb likes this.
  8. Mikemci

You must be deeper into the lands, than "just kissing" them. You would't be pulling bullets, upon extraction.
    If you haven't seen Alex Wheeler's video on "Finding the lands", you need to watch it and verify where your lands start touching your bullet.

joshb likes this.
  9. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Hi Nick! +1 on the smaller bushings but you should also check your length to the lands. “Touch” shouldn’t grab the bullet. It seems like you have a slight jamb going on.
    Josh

10. Mikemci

Nick, Here is a link to the video, on finding your lands.

jimmymac likes this.
  11. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

I ran 257 and 258 bushings when I had a 262 chamber and it worked well. My neck walls were .0085 like yours.

I agree with @Mikemci above when he says you are doing more than just kissing the lands. My guess is that the marks on the extracted bullet will look pretty square indicating a significant jam.

The Wheeler video is excellent in finding touch length. I use that method when finding touch. I also find jam length with the same stripped bolt by sizing a piece of brass with the bushing of my choice, seat the bullet long, measure the CBTO, close the bolt and let the lands perform the final seating. Measure again and the CBTO will be shorter than your first measurement. That is your jam length using that particular bushing. Please note that it is a good idea to use a little imperial case lube on the bullet prior to chambering the dummy round to help prevent from sticking it in the lands.

I don't think what you are doing is wrong Nick, although I'd still drop at least one bushing size. It is pretty common for PPC shooters to have a bullet jammed well past touch length, as it seems you do. Do what @Dusty Stevens says and clear your round by firing the gun instead of running the risk of pulling the bullet. As far as powder goes, if you have a load that shoots good with the 259 bushing, I bet it shoots equally well with the 258 or 257 bushing. It might even shoot better.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  12. Nick Caprinolo

Very informative video. Thanks for this. Going downstairs right now and try it.

foxguy and Mikemci like this.
  13. Mikemci

Please report your findings.

14. Dusty Stevens

Most ppc reamers and the short fat 65-68gr “heads” work better when jammed not touched. Jammed could be .035-.040 past touch. If you use the touch method youre giving up alot in the ppc. Jam those bullets and dont unload it with the bolt, use the trigger.

15. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

I agree with Dusty. I use .256 or .257, most often .257. I have shot close to a square mark for 25 yrs. Let your target tell you.

jimmymac likes this.
  16. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve learned in my experience don’t limit yourself to a set up of always jammed or always at touch
    Test both.
    I have shot some mighty fine aggs at a couple thou. in from touching

Paw precision and jimmymac like this.