Muzzle TIR

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Doug Beach, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Doug Beach

Doug Beach

For those of you who indicate at the breech and throat area, or use the Grizzly type rods, what is the range of indicated run out you see at the muzzle, once the chamber area is running true? What amount of muzzle run out would you consider suspect, or unacceptable, on a quality match barrel?

2. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

I would love to give you a good answer but I have never chambered out of a four jaw setup if it ain't broke I don't see any reason to fix it LOL.

butchlambert and Doug Beach like this.
  3. SBLH10

SBLH10

Doug I see as little as just a few .000 to as much as .025 with know differences in accuracy, shooting short range Benchrest 6PPC. Every barrel is most like going to have some run out, depends where it is in the barrel as to how much run out will show up using the Grizzly rod method.
    Chet

Stan Taylor likes this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Its just a few thou most times

5. Danny1788

Danny1788

When I was doing my first few barrels I ran into a lot of runout on the muzzle end. All those rifles still shot good. Long story short I found I was actually bending the barrels When trying to dial them in. I have since learned a lot more and now hold the barrels in a different way that lets them swivel, This has produced much better results.

6. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

[QUOTE="Danny1788, post:
    I have since learned a lot more and now hold the barrels in a different way that lets them swivel, This has produced much better results.[/QUOTE]

7. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Using aluminum, brass or copper jaw pad spacers abt 1/16 thick works wonders. ;)