Muzzle Brake Cleaning

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by K22, Apr 19, 2017.

1. K22

K22

Just had my first muzzle brake installed on a 308 Tikka. Love the reduction in recoil. The gunsmith advised to remove it when cleaning the rifle. It easy enough to do on mine.

Just wondering what others are doing with regards to cleaning their rifles that have muzzle breaks, i.e. clean with or without the break and if you're cleaning the brake separately what cleaning procedure are you using. Thanks.

2. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

To clean I use q tips and the spray cleaner you can buy at wallyworld. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, that works too.

pacificman likes this.
  3. pacificman

pacificman

I agree with the ultrasonic as it cleaned mine like new.

savagedasher likes this.
  4. Sniper338

Sniper338

X3

savagedasher likes this.
  5. bobinpa

bobinpa Gold $$ Contributor

Find an appropriately sized prescription bottle and put the brake in it.
    Add Butches bore shine to the bottle until the brake is covered.
    Let it soak while I am cleaning the barrel.
    Remove the brake from the bottle and finish cleaning with a Q-tip (only takes a couple of minutes).
    Put the brake in another bottle filled with denatured alcohol.
    Remove the brake from the second bottle and blow it off with an air compressor.
    Re-install the brake on the barrel.

This is what works for me......;)

6. Kurz

Kurz

No matter which cleaner, set of steps or procedures you use for cleaning, remember to do it as frequently and as conveniently as possible. The carbon build up is often tinted green from the copper if left in the ports for too long and it's nearly impossible to remove without a mechanical aid. If you stay on top of the build up, cleaning is a cinch.

Best.

7. Zero333

Zero333

Some I take off when cleaning the barrel and some I don't take off. And I never clean the brakes.

I'm not one that has to have a perfect looking shiny rifle. I Just wanna shoot.

8. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

At the range, I have been putting mine in a cup then covering with CLR while I clean the rifle. Then rinse with water or break cleaner.

Joe Salt

hogpatrol likes this.
  9. JRS

JRS

Purchase a jar of choke tube cleaner.

10. gunnermhr

gunnermhr Silver $$ Contributor

The problem with never cleaning a brake is when you are shooting beside someone and the carbon build up starts flying towards the guy on the bench beside you. I clean mine regularly in the ultra sonic cleaner, 50/50 water and white vinegar.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  11. miles13

miles13 Silver $$ Contributor

Ultrasonic, 20 minutes, done. No chemicals required.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  12. wiuprof

wiuprof Silver $$ Contributor

One of my mentors from shooting at Pella, Iowa was Bob Pastor (a.k.a. the Viper) and I asked him about cleaning my muzzle brakes.
    He recommended a product called "Slip 2000" for the task. He advised to get the 16 oz. bottle and to make a device to
    lower the muzzle brake into the bottle and let it soak. I bent some pieces of coat-hanger and wire to let me dip my muzzle
    brakes into the jar. Let them soak for an hour or two and then blow them off with brake cleaner, it works very well.

The photo shows the original 16 oz. bottle from 2008, which is going to be trashed. The new bottle on the right has not
    been opened yet and you can see the difference in the color of the solution. Joe
    slip 2000 2 c.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  13. mr.big

mr.big

I use the foaming bore cleaner,,

[​IMG]

1K6BRA likes this.
  14. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I just put mine in a pill bottle full of Butches and let soak while I clean. Before I put it back on I give the bottle a 30 second shake. Probably not as good as ultrasonic, but works pretty darn good!!

Tod

15. K22

K22

Thanks for all the advice. I plan to clean mine, removing it and using the soak method while I clean the rifle.

16. Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Let me be the first to give you a little un-advice. NEVER put your brakes in a wet SS pin tumbler! It's hard to believe that the tumbler cleans your brass without harm but can still damage the SS threads on a brake but it's true.

Ask me how I know.

17. Zero333

Zero333

Yea I know how that feels. Get that stuff all over my face much too often from my brother shooting next to me. I get him back... He only complains about how loud my brake is, he don't care about the shit flying in his face.

I have a sonic cleaner that I never use, I guess I can put it to good work.