more stocks and guns

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by scasa, Apr 1, 2020.

1. scasa

scasa

Laminated blank from boyds,my own design for the shaping . Minwax polycrylic for the finish .Rifle is a 7.62x25 tokarov reloaded 110 gr Vmax at about 1950 fps. I made the action ,full diameter bolt, front lugs, rem 700 trigger. 1.JPG

Ed, GotRDid, jimmymac and 6 others like this.
  2. scasa

scasa

Single shot break action pistol I made, 03.JPG grips are made from an old shotgun stock a buddy gave me

Ed, GotRDid, hpshooter and 5 others like this.
  3. scasa

scasa

Single shot .22 bolt action. this is a copy of a win 67 only I made it with a left bolt. It is my first aluminum stock because my arm was in a cast when I made it I decided on alum stock with AR-15 grip so I knew it would fit later. DSCF0889.JPG

Ed, GotRDid, joshb and 5 others like this.
  4. scasa

scasa

This is my benchrest .22. I made the stock, the action, the trigger and the rest. It shoots pretty good. DSCF0933.JPG

Ed, GotRDid, jimmymac and 9 others like this.
  5. scasa

scasa

I just cant seem to pass up an old junker .22 that needs a new stock. The camo one is a marlin 10 gun show find. broken stock. The tan one , gunshow find owner modified the stock with a chainsaw. it's a rem 510 . The green one,stained with food coloring is a marlin 15y. Bought it with a broken firing pin. welded the firing pin and let one of my coworkers shoot it .(we had a 25 yard indoor range) he shot almost a one hole group with PMC scoremaster. so it got a new stock.
    The woodgrain stock is on a mossberg 26c single shot cock on close .22 I think somebody drug it behind their truck to the pawn shop where I found it. It was beat up.Guy at work gave me an old beeman pellet gun stock,It had a nice shape to it and rubber butt pad so that was the insperation for this stock. It's red oak with rosewood stain and a beeman butt pad. Picture 101.jpg Picture 102.jpg Picture 103.jpg Picture 105.jpg

GotRDid, Texas10, joshb and 4 others like this.
  6. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

looking good --- You are a talented, skilled guy.

GotRDid likes this.
  7. daleboy

daleboy Gold $$ Contributor

That is some very impressive work . Is this a hobby, or do you do this for a living ? I like how you are not afraid of a challenge,great job.

GotRDid likes this.
  8. billlarson

billlarson "Hold Into The Wind" Gold $$ Contributor

Good work....

GotRDid likes this.
  9. scasa

scasa

It's just a hobby, I like a good challenge, I like guns, I like tools . This is what happens.

10. 300_whisper

300_whisper Silver $$ Contributor

Very cool

GotRDid likes this.
  11. daleboy

Very cool, I am the same...but I have not made my own action yet. Do you have a full machine shop set up ?

GotRDid likes this.
  12. scasa

scasa

Thanks for all the complements
    I have a 12x36 craftsman lathe and a small vernon vertical mill. and files lots of files. Also I made a milling head that fits on the carrage of my lathe an indexing disk and a 90 to 1 gearbox that attaches to the spindle. Thats how I cut locking lug recess, DSCF1347.JPG loading ports and such DSCF1352.JPG DSCF1354.JPG

It's not a perfect set up but it works.

Ed, GotRDid, 300_whisper and 3 others like this.
  13. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Nice work! I'm sure you more than keep busy.

GotRDid likes this.
  14. hpshooter

hpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

Remember shooting a pile of those "Rockets" in the 50's. Any kid could scrape up enough change to get a pack at the hardware store.

GotRDid likes this.
  15. daleboy

I like it, had a gut feeling you were working with more skill than fancy tools .Right up my alley,part of what I like about the hobby is the challenge of what I can accomplish with little machinery . I am one of those that does not want to re-invent the wheel,I just like different wheels.

GotRDid and hpshooter like this.
  16. scasa

scasa

Part of it is I grew up really poor we didn't have much and what we had we made. I still have a hard time buying a new gun off the rack they just don't make the kind of stuff I like . I'd rather make something.

GotRDid, hpshooter and daleboy like this.
  17. hpshooter

hpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

"I'd rather make something."

Wish more folks thought this way, really liked your air driven milling attachment using a piece of rectangular tubing for the housing.

Too many people are afraid to explore the limits of what they can actually do these days.

GotRDid and daleboy like this.
  18. scasa

scasa

limits What limits?

KMart likes this.
  19. 300_whisper

300_whisper Silver $$ Contributor

I keep looking at that mossberg single shot .22. What a beautiful stock.

20. scasa

scasa

Thanks, I'ts a cool little gun but it has a rough spot in the barrel. I probably should look at it with the borescope see if it's worth lapping out. It would make a nice gun for somebody after I croak