McGowen barrel

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Spike A, Mar 1, 2016.

1. 10at6

10at6 Silver $$ Contributor

I had one..It sucked. Too many other choices to go with another.
    Would not consider buying one unless they get their schitt together.
    Criterion for a winner is my advice

boltfluter and Dgd6mm like this.
  2. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

I just got a Lyman boresope and I am shocked to see the same thing. One the inside, most of the name brand barrels have the same fit and finish inside.

Big_Daddy and miningshawn like this.
  3. fyrewall

fyrewall

Most of my rifles have McGowen barrels. I am a casual shooter with modest expectations. The McGowen barrels perform equally as well as Hart, Krieger, and Lilja barrels that I have owned or have now; I always use good bullets and carefully maintain my barrels. There are many variables concerning rifle accuracy that are beyond the control of the barrel maker. McGowen barrels always meet my expectations. The McGowen workers and management are always helpful and respond immediately and cheerfully to my reasonable inquires. Upon visiting the McGowen shop to either drop off or pick up work, I see that they are extremely busy with high production (like stacks of barrels) and have many loyal customers including myself. With reasonable skills the McGowen web site can be successfully navigated to acquire desired information. Upon peering down my McGowen barrels, they glisten like mirrors. EOS

miningshawn and Big_Daddy like this.
  4. BW64

BW64

Yeah well my chamber is at .474 at the base & everyone else I talk to or measure their brass is at .471. I'm running the brass 3 times through the sizing die on a Forster press!!!!

BW

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Barrel issue with mcgowan?

6. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Sir, you need another die.

7. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I have a 25-06 with a McGowen. It coppers up rather easily but, it's a humdinger of a shooter!! Although it coppers up fast it's very easy to clean.

8. BW64

BW64

It's an RCBS fl sizer. Doesn't seem to have a problem with my buddy's brass. Of course his don't measure .474 at the base. I've also tried another die & same problem. This is the second barrel from McGowen with this problem. I refuse to deal with the asshat that answers the phone! The barrel shoots lights out. Just goes through brass.

BW

9. BW64

BW64

Seems that way but I won't call them. Asshat that answers the phone has no skills.

BW

L.Sherm likes this.
  10. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Silver $$ Contributor

I literally cant believe the guy that answered the phone who immediately got an attitude.
    If it was my company I would send his a$$ packin.

BW64 likes this.
  11. BW64

BW64

Yep! Same here. All I wanted was the address to send the barrel back & if I had to note it to someone's attention!!! Right out of the box he said I was yelling at him!! LOL

BW

12. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Well, let me think on this. IF YOU KNOW FOR SURE that the base of your chamber is .474, a full length die should fix it. I've always had an easier time sizing brass for an oversize chamber.
    I have never used or had any experience with McGowen or how they handle their clients. I'm not jumping on them or giving them a pat on the back. I would let a qualified smith check it first.

13. fyrewall

fyrewall

Be nice BW64! Possibly, if your sent the nice folks at McGowen 3 un-sized fired pieces brass, with a note pleading your case, this might initiate some negotiations to resolve the problem. Possibly the barrel could be set back one turn and rechambered. They will be real busy in a month or so turning out work for fall hunting. Possibly, a cheerful, non-threatening, neutral 3rd party might be able to initiate dialog.

14. BW64

BW64

Did that with the first barrel. This time it's going to a gunsmith I trust. I'll eat the cost. Like I said all I wanted was an address & the guy goes off on me!!

BW

15. Lucky Shooter

Lucky Shooter Gold $$ Contributor

I talked to their gunsmith about a perceived problem and they sent me another barrel.

Don't remember his name but he was a straight talker who understood what I had to say.

Might be worth the effort to talk to him.

A. Weldy

boltfluter likes this.