May relocate reloading room to garage.

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by K9TXS, Dec 11, 2019.

1. K9TXS

K9TXS

I'm considering moving my reloading room to the garage from a room in the house. We were planning on moving, but that is not going to happen now. I have always done my reloading in a spare room in the house, but now I think it's time to having all the stuff in one place.

I have a very large three car garage. With all 3 cars in the garage, I still have an open space of 12ft x 31ft I can use for a reloading room.

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, 55 miles as the crow flies from the Gulf of Mexico. We have more hot and humid days than cool days. Humidity is the worst here.

Those of you that live in an extreme heat and humidity environment and reload in the garage or outbuilding, how do you beat the humidity?

2. johara1

johara1

A/C....... jim

mikeinct, outasite `08, nmkid and 3 others like this.
  3. Bill Norris

Bill Norris Silver $$ Contributor

Insulation on all walls including ceiling. Keep the A/C running as much as possible and install a dehumidifier in your reloading room. My reloading area is also in another building separate from my house.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    spclark, rockable, Bc'z and 3 others like this.
  4. mac86951

mac86951 I prefer my targets level and unmoving Gold $$ Contributor

Certainly look at a sealed enclosure for storage of components and dies in a low humidity environment.

jepp2, spclark and Bill Norris like this.
  5. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

I wouldn't move out to the garage, keep the spare room. JMO.

6. Tempest

Tempest

I've been reloading in my garage for years in humid TN.

Ditto on AC. No issues.

mac86951 and Bill Norris like this.
  7. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

8. gman47564

gman47564

I do all my reloading in a 16x20 out building.. insulated it and use ac in the summer and small wood stove in the winter.. never had a issue with anything rusting or drawing moisture... my little piece of heaven...:cool:

joshb, stacy, DirtySteve and 5 others like this.
  9. Bill Norris

Bill Norris Silver $$ Contributor

Exactly. a man cave. Love mine no doubt.

joshb, Boisblancboy and gman47564 like this.
  10. oley55

oley55

Here in JAX Florida with a saltwater marsh in my back yard, heat and humidity is a full time foe. No AC just brutal heat. I use plenty of fans but must shut them down when weighing loads. If I already had indoor conditioned space I'd think long and hard before I gave that space up.

edit added: Unless of course I was making room for my 86 year old Mom to move in. Otherwise, no chance.

Nick Caprinolo likes this.
  11. Mike Casselton

Mike Casselton

One word. Rust.

No matter how hard you try, things still rust.

I'd kill to be able to load indoors again. That'll be at least 4 more years.

joshb and oley55 like this.
  12. 3Ackleys

3Ackleys

2 years ago I moved from the garage to a spare room.Now I load WAY more and shoot more too. I live in Montana so it was a job just to get the garage warm enough to work a large portion of the year.I have so much heavy stuff in that room i don't think my wife will ever want me to move back to the garage!

13. Mikemci

Mikemci Gold $$ Contributor

I live 150 miles in from the gulf.
    It gets very hot and humid in my garage.
    Stay in your spare room.
    My .02
    In the hottest part of Summer, I only resize brass in the garage and then come in to the dining room table and weigh powder, prime cases and seat bullets, with the arbor press and Wilson chamber die.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    dogdude, mikeinct, Mark W and 2 others like this.
  14. Rsadams

Rsadams

I lived by the water in one way or another my whole life in Texas... I am now in central Texas and it's hotter and humid here also... Unless your garage is climate controlled I would have reservations.... I use a spare bedroom in my home....

15. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

If you can afford it wall in the area with a 2x6 inch wall with 16 inch centers. Then once it is wall boarded in get it spray foamed and air conditioning cost will be very low because the foam has such a high R value. I would also put something like pergo on the floor to give it a homey feel. Seal the floor before putting the pergo flooring down to stop humidity from migrating through the cement. Have a door to get out in case of emergency and a window as well. Then you will have a huge mancave that is ready for humidity.

joshb, spclark, Dgd6mm and 1 other person like this.
  16. K22

K22

I think you're going in the reverse direction - preservation is more important than convenience.

I live in eastern PA where the weather between seasons and be extreme. To keep the wifey happy I reloaded in the basement for many year and even with a dehumidifier there was still a lot of moisture and it was damn uncomfortable in the winter especially for an old guy with aching joints. It was also a constant battle to keep tools from corrosion.

Two years ago I appealed my case to the wifey and she graciously allowed me to move my reloading table upstairs. Now I can reload in comfort and corrosion is not a issue.

Having your gear in different locations is a pain - My cleaning tools and gear is in the basement, reloading table on the first floor and my gun safe on the third floor but I make it work - however I would like to have a climate controlled "man cave" where I could store everything.:rolleyes: - maybe someday.

mikeinct likes this.
  17. SPJ

SPJ Whoops !! Gold $$ Contributor

^^
    Most of my sizing presses are in the garage as a great deal of tools are however much the same as others my garage temps fluctuate considerably pushing me to alternative solutions. My wife is a good sport for the “most part” in addition being empty nesters increases tolerance I suppose, my thoughts are to just be comfortable and enjoy the process.
    Shoot Small
    J
    7EE9112F-AD0D-4144-A5F2-B7227C5F9117.jpeg

mikeinct, Mikemci and mac86951 like this.
  18. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

I have our garage divided in half and it's heated and air conditioned. I live in Central PA and have no problems with corrosion. Also no one bothers me out there:)

dogdude, gunnermhr, mikeinct and 2 others like this.
  19. waltkrafft

waltkrafft Gold $$ Contributor

Don't do it! If you do, build a separate room with heat and air. Concrete walls and roof for a bunker? Nice!

20. farmerjohn

farmerjohn Gold $$ Contributor

Exactly!! I did a 24X30 with a shooting window and love it. Insulated the hell out of it, air conditioner runs temp controled and added about 35 bucks a month and the wood stove is free other than my labor, no rust, absolutely love it. Only thing wrong is it should have been twice as big.....
    John

joshb, mikeinct and Bill Norris like this.