Looking for a Reputable Gunsmith to chamber a 2.00 diameter barrel blank

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by LA50SHOOTER, Feb 26, 2020.

1. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

Will be for a 416 Barrett - (custom chamber)
    I have the chambering reamer & “Go-Gauge” and throating reamer. And I’ll provide a dummy round.
    Will be for a BAT EX25 action.
    Work scope will be chambering & Set headspace, threading barrel tenon, crown, thread muzzle end for a T-6 brake (timing if required), engrave data on barrel, and bead-blast for matte-finish.

I will provide a Krieger blank, and the brake along with the aforementioned tooling. - (may need to order a pilot for the reamer, depending on what the dimensions of the rifled blank are).

I’m looking for a smith who not only has a lathe where the headstock is large enough to accommodate the 2.00 blank but has the experience to produce high quality precision chambering work in larger calibers.

Please P.M. if interested in this specific special project. - Or if you know someone who may have the machine and experience.

Thanks - Ron

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Wish i had room for my old big lathe i could do it for you. Good luck on your search. Maybe mcmillan or warner could do it. Not many have the capability for that diameter.

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  3. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Ron,

Shawn has a big lathe that he does some of those "big guns" on. @Northridge on here if you don't already have his contact info.

Tom

L.Sherm, DHuffman and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  4. LA50SHOOTER

Tom, Dusty, - I appreciate both of your inputs.

I totally forgot about Shawn (@Northridge) here on the forum.
    I'll reach out to him. I met him at Deep Creek during the 2018 National Match. And I know he did Jeff Reid's build.

I use to use Gre-Tan for these big jobs but for personal reasons I've moved on. Greg does excellent work and that has nothing to do with why I've moved on.

My "local" smith can only handle a 1.500 dia. At this time.

I appreciate you reaching out to me.

Kind Regards
    Ron

5. wvlongshot

wvlongshot Gold $$ Contributor

Check with Vestals custom rifles in Bristol Va. He does lots of the big boys.

6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

7. DHuffman

DHuffman Gold $$ Contributor

8. Alan Warner

Alan Warner

Ron
    We are 3 to 4 weeks out. If that works, send a note or call
    Alan

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  9. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

Ron
    I would be more than glad to offer my services but I don't work out of a 4 jaw Chuck I do all my chambering out a steady rest.

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  10. LA50SHOOTER

Gent’s,

I appreciate all of your feedback and the willingness to provide services.
    I’m astonished at just how many have the facilities to perform this large scale type work, and all who’ve also sent P.M.’s.

I will be contacting multiple parties on an individual basis to get further input and to discuss this project in further detail.

As well, I will need to procure the parts which is a task that I most always take on myself so that I get exactly what is desired to work with for the final outcome and it saves others from spending their valuable time chasing parts and materials. - Lead time on barrel blank(s) I anticipate to take 4-6 months and I need to work out special threading requirements/ request with the brake manufacturer.

Again, Thank You All for your willingness to provide and to correspond.

Regards, Ron

Stan Taylor likes this.
  11. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

How much will that barrel weigh Ron?

12. Kings X

Kings X Gold $$ Contributor

Me too.
    Did I miss how long the blank is?

13. LA50SHOOTER

I haven’t yet run the dimensions though a barrel weight calculation app. As I’m away from my main PC running on a IPad at the moment about 14 hours ahead of CST.

My guess is in the low to mid 20 Lbs. range.

Planned dimensions are as follows:

2.000 (chamber end) for 7 inches then straight taper to 1.600 at the muzzle. Blank to finish at 38”. Muzzle end to have 36mm x 1.5 tpi threads
    (Approx. 1.41 dia. Threads) for a Terminator T6 brake that will add another 32 oz. (2 Lbs.). - I’m also considering 1.850 for 7” at the chamber then taper to 1.600.

The gun will only be shot off of a front and rear rest off a bench.

Stock is an old Manners H50 carbon-fiber stock with front and rear tracking rails added. It is currently set up with barrels in 50 BMG Imp. And 1-13” twist 416 Barrett barrels.

I’m looking at going 1-10” on the new addition so as to be able to shoot the heavier bullets. (500 gr. A-Tip and 500 gr. Cutting Edge)

Ron

dmoran, Bc'z and Dusty Stevens like this.