Looking for a new rifle. What questions should I ask?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by GetMore, Jun 15, 2018.

1. GetMore

GetMore

I am looking for a new rifle, something better than my 700 ADL. I've only been target shooting for a few months now, so I really need recommendations AND guidance to narrow down what decisions I need to make.

Here's what think I am looking for:
    Bolt action .308, light weight, low cost, accurate, and capable of handling 20 rounds in maybe 5 minutes without losing accuracy.
    Regarding the weight/cost/accuracy balancing act: Accuracy only needs to be easily within 1 MOA, but on factory ammo. Weight should be on the lighter side, but ounces don't matter. For price, I think this can be done for under one grand, but I think I'd cap the budget at two.

I was thinking about upgrading the ADL with a trigger and a stock, which might get me where I want to be, but I know I may need to upgrade the barrel as well, and at that point maybe the second rifle specially chosen, makes more sense.

Most ranges near me are 100yds. Some are 200, maybe 300.
    I do most of my shooting from a bench, but I don't want a bench-rest specific rifle.

Thanks!

hillbillydruggist likes this.
  2. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Savage LRP cambered in 6 br Norma should get the job done quite nicely.
    They can be had for around 800-1000
    J

3. drover

drover

Buy yourself a Tikka T-3 Lite, all you will have to do is put a scope on it and go shoot, Although I would recommend that you give consideration to a 223, much lower cost to shoot, less recoil, longer barrel life, and easier to shoot because less recoil.

drover

hillbillydruggist and AJC like this.
  4. SteveOak

SteveOak Silver $$ Contributor

The first question you should ask is "Why 308?"

Especially if you are limited to 300 yards.

You specified your accuracy requirement stipulating factory ammo. Perhaps you don't reload.

1. There are still options other than 308.

2. In learning to reload you will have a much better selection of bullets.

3. If you reload you will learn a lot about shooting and your rifle.

Perhaps allocate some of your budget to reloading. If you shoot 223/5.56 you can buy fully processed, once fired Lake City brass really cheap ($90 to $100/1,000) and reload with only one die and an arbor press and a minimum of equipment.

As far as the rifle itself, can you get a good trigger for it?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  5. Larryh128

Larryh128

Buy a Beraga Premier and forget it.

hillbillydruggist and ebb like this.
  6. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

That is a tall order, especially for a "light" rifle. Personally I would just upgrade the ADL, using a good gunsmith that could guide you. If you are limited to factory ammo, the 308 is a good choice for accuracy. The 6.5 Creedmoor is another with a great selection of factory ammo that would kick less.

7. AJC

AJC

If you can find one a remmington r5 in 223 would work. Your range is not far and 223 can be cheap to shoot and easy to find ammo for at any store. Black hills makes some high grade stuff if you need some good stuff. I have the 308 in that rifle and if I could trade straight across for the 223 I would. Savage has some great offerings in your budget and I have 2 that are grate. I do hate the acutrigger and that would be an immediate expense in my case but it may work for you. I hear a lot about the tikka but I have never used one, so I only will recommend what I have used.

8. drover

drover

You have asked a question but have not given much information, in the interest of providing a relevant answer the following information is needed.

1. What caliber are you shooting now?

2. Is the ADL you are shooting now the factory synthetic stock (tupperware), or is it wood?

3. When you say that most of your shooting from a bench are you competing or just shooting targets for your own satisfaction?

Based on the limited information you have given in your post here are my recommendations -

Forget the 308 idea, 20 shots in in 5 minutes from a 308 will have you flinching so badly before very long that everything else will become irrelevant.
    Another consideration: 20 shots from a 308 in 5 minutes and you will be replacing the barrel in very short order - probably somewhere around the 1000 round mark.

Stock - replacing a stock will run between $200 - $600 depending on how much of an upgrade you are looking for. Don't forget an additional $100 or so for bedding the action if that is a task that you cannot perform yourself.

Trigger - replacing the trigger will run between $125 and @225 depending on manufacturer. Somewhere around $50 for a gunsmith to install if you are not comfortable with doing the installation and adjustment yourself.

Barrel - replacing a barrel will be between $400 - $600, again dependent on gunsmith and barrel manufacturer.

My advice - Sell your ADL, purchase a Tikka T-3 Lite in chambered in 223 Remington. They come with a great trigger which can easily be set at 2 lbs, they have one of the best barrels available on a factory rifle, they have a MOA guarantee, but the ones I own are all easily shoot 5 shot groups of between 1/2 and 3/4" at 100 yds. All you have to do is put a scope on it and go shoot small groups.

Caliber - 223 Remington, lots of good inexpensive ammo if you do not handload, light recoil, not nearly as hard on the barrel, although doing 20 rounds in 5 minutes will shorten the life of a barrel considerably with the 223 you should easily get 4000 - 5000 rounds of sub MOA accuracy.

drover

edited to add - you will probably get more responses if you posted this in the main message board or varmint and hunting message board.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018