Lets play guess the diameter...

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by carlsbad, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Its pictured above .086

2. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks BC'z. Sorry that wasn't clear.

This firing pin as found was .078 diameter in a .086 hole. I'm sure the guy was having some cratering. There was some damage to the end of the pin, probably from the brass pinching between the pin and the wall of the hole. The issues machined off. Pin is now .059. Hole is .060. I'll post photos of the "as left" later or tomorrow. --Jerry

dogdude, Mark W, JMP and 3 others like this.
  3. msinc

msinc

No sir, it was very clear and I saw it before I posted. My point is that it doesn't matter what , to the thousandths, it actually measures...it's waaaaaayyyyyyyy too big!!!!

4. carlsbad

OK. msinc. I see your point and you've mostly answered the bonus question. The fit is not nearly as important as the diameter. Once the brass starts extruding/cratering it can push the firing pin up. With a 50,000 cartridge pressure, the force pushing the primer brass through a .086" hole is 290 lbs. It can push the fring pin back into the hole since that is much stronger than the spring.

Now a good firing pin fit is better for a couple of reasons:

1. Keep dirt etc out.
    2. The firing pin hole is the key for cratering/piercing but for durability, the firing pin should be as large as possible and still fit i the hole. I don't like to go below .058 for firing pin diameter so the tightest fit gets me the tightest hole.
    3. If you do get cratering, which is very unlikely with a ,060 hole, the tight fit will prevent brass getting pinched in the gap.

--Jerry

5. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Does this also apply if the rifle will never see srp brass?

6. carlsbad

Yes, SRP vs LRP is very little difference. LRP is slightly thicker and you can get buy sometimes when your situation is borderline. But I'm bushing more bolts for guys shooting LRP brass now than SRP. --Jerry

dogdude and Bc'z like this.
  7. carlsbad

Finally got around to uploading the after pic. 20191114_222159.jpg

jimmymac, Ccrider, dogdude and 2 others like this.
  8. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Good to know I now have a plan.
    I can't wait!

dogdude likes this.
  9. dogdude

dogdude Egan O'Brien Gold $$ Contributor

Jerry has done 1 large, 1 small, with another large on the way, both look like what is posted in #47 :)
    The first small I sent (Bat) was piercing badly, when it came back, I took the same ammo that was piercing and the primers looked Perfect :D @carlsbad is Da Man

10. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

The fit is not nearly as important as the diameter.

Thats what she said...

gary0529 and Bc'z like this.
  11. jimmymac

jimmymac Gold $$ Contributor

...and if you’ve ever heard those words she was just trying to make you feel better about your shortcomings. :D

dogdude and gary0529 like this.