Leopold Quality

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by bsekf, Dec 14, 2019.

1. bsekf

bsekf

I just got a new to me Leopold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 with a rifle deal, now this scope retails for over $500 so I was expecting something pretty good. At least as good as my 4-16 Grand Slam and an old Sightron I 4-16. The glass seems to be pretty good, but no better than the Weaver and not as good as the Sightron. But the turrets adjustments are awful, says 1 click = ¼ at 100 yds. I can’t even feel a click and they turn HARD, almost wished I had the water pump pliers! AND, since you can’t feel a click, they are not accurate. The Weaver is much better and the Sightron is much much better. Did I get the only bad one or are you Leopold guys that “kennel blind”? In defense of the Leopold, I can read the writing on the turrets without my magnifiers. I can tell which way is up.

Bill

2. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

You got the only bad one,call Leupold before you slander them here. Or if you are bored and looking for a fight just carry on with comments like "Kennel blind " .

Rogmay, DirtySteve, rebel and 2 others like this.
  3. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Send it back to Leupold for warranty work. They are excellent about working on scopes. They may even replace it with a new one.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Ken and mikeinct like this.
  4. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

VX-3 shouldn't have turrets like you mentioned but I have played with lower end models that felt like old Tasco BB guns turrets. I would contact them and get it shipped off, I don't know of any scope company that hasn't had bad scopes, probably many times it is user error and we don't like to admit it.

Ray

Ken and mac86951 like this.
  5. Gary in MD

Gary in MD Gold $$ Contributor

I’m not part of the kennel anymore. Send it back and Leupold will fix or replace it free. Then unload it and switch to a different brand. Just my 2 cents.

DirtySteve likes this.
  6. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Show me one company that hasn't produced a faulty scope. Every scope manufacturer has let scopes go thru there assembly line with issues. It just happens. Was your "Gun Deal" a new gun or used ? Either way, Leupold will repair or replace that scope, free of charge if it hasn't been abused. Leupold is a solid scope and company. Weaver, well, let's just say they have had there fair share of junk leave there assembly line also. Don't judge a company by the few scopes that may not pass inspection but rather what they do about it when you contact them. Customer service is everything.

Rogmay, mikeinct, DirtySteve and 2 others like this.
  7. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

AND are you real sure that it is really a Leupold and not a Chinese knock-off? Lots of them on the market that are nearly identical in appearance, but poorly made. Not attacking the seller but since you didn't buy it new but got it in a rifle package deal, unless you can verify serial numbers, there may be some doubt.

8. K22

K22

I've been using Leupold scopes for about 40 years and never had a bad one BUT that doesn't mean that a bad can't exist but from what you described it doesn't sound like it's defective scope - it's just not suited for your needs.

The key issues here is will it hold POI - you didn't say. I believe that model of scope is not designed to be used for repeated dial ups to compensate for elevations changes - it's much like the old 3 x 9's which were designed to be sighted in at a certain distance for the maximum point blank range of the game / target you are hunting / shooting at. After initial sight in you don't need to mess with the turrets unless something changes and you have to re-establish the initial sight.

For example, I have my 3 x 9 on my 308 sighted in a 2" high at 100 yards which for the ammunition I'm currently shooting puts me in the vitals of a deer size animal for 50 to 250 yards. There is no need to fumble with the turrets unless something changes and I have to readjust them to re-establish the original sight in a 100 yards.

Leupold does make scopes with target style turrets that are designed to used for repeated elevation changes.

sw282, Ken, mikeinct and 2 others like this.
  9. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

I purchased a Leupold back in 1991 for an Elk hunt. Leupold made excellent products then as well but there line of scopes was much more limited as most all were at that point. Just last year the turret screws became so hard to turn with a penny or screw driver that I had to send it back. Leupold let me know if they couldn't repair it, they'd replace it. They replaced it with a much higher grade, high magnification model. Customer service means everything when spending too dollar on products.

sw282 and Mulligan like this.
  10. edwardware

edwardware

Second that (ebay). If it's a Leupold, they'll make it right.

11. liljoe

liljoe Silver $$ Contributor

Post a couple pics of it. The guy's on here could tell you if it's a fake. They are very similar looking.

Joe

12. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

Or go to the Leupold website. They have a serial number ID page for pirated scopes.

284winner likes this.
  13. Bill Norris

Bill Norris Silver $$ Contributor

Leupold has always been my go to scope. I've owned as many or more as the next shooter/hunter and own 11 as of date. I've never had to send one back but I have used customer service many times for other related items and concerns. I'd have to give them a 100% + no doubts about it. Just my .02 cents.

DirtySteve and 284winner like this.
  14. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

Nobody is perfect, but they try.