Lapua brass quality

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Lefty Trigger, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Gold $$ Contributor

Well after 18 reloads on some Lapua 6BR brass both as 6BR and now reformed as 6mmBRX I'm finally getting some random loose primer pockets. This speaks volumes about their quality as I'm betting the rest will go 20+ reloads or more then fall inline with loose pockets. With this kind of life span the cost is clearly justified. My Winchester 308 brass started going south just about 9 reloads and it was split necks/shoulders and loose primer pockets. I'm currently running some Norma 6BR brass now so we will see how it holds up, seems to be great quality as well.

DShort, RegionRat, McGraw and 6 others like this.
  2. B23

B23 Gold $$ Contributor

IMO, Lapua brass is the gold standard and pretty much what everyone compares themselves to. Unfortunately, with the exception of a few new brass companies, most other brass just doesn't compare. I generally revolve all my builds off of if Lapua makes brass for it.

3. Jennb

Jennb

I am shooting Lapua brass in my 308 and much of it has been fired 14 times and still going.

D-4297, Bama shooter and McGraw like this.
  4. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

My first batch of SRP Palma brass went 25 firings before things started going wanky. Annealed necks every 4-5 firings.

RegionRat and spclark like this.
  5. ditter

ditter

I'm on my 7th reload on my 6.5CM Lapua Brass. No issues whatsoever, so I'm assuming at least 12 reloads from it, if not more. I've reloaded other brass from Remington, Winchester, Hornady and Federal and it does not compare. Lapua is just that good. Whenever I want to expand the collection, I just buy Berger factory ammo and I keep the Lapua brass.

I do have Norma/Prime brass and it is top-notch as well and gives you a large rifle primer option. I have not tried other custom brands (Peterson, Alpha, Starline), but I hear good things about them.

In any event, Lapua is just the king of the mountain.

McGraw likes this.
  6. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

13 x fired zero annealing primer pockets still good.

7. Lefty Trigger

I anneal my brass every 4th cycle but probably because I bought a Bench-source annealing machine to do it easy. I have also run brass in the past a very long time with out ever annealing it. Only thing I ever noticed was it gets harder to trim.

Dgd6mm, McGraw and SPJ like this.
  8. 6fatrat

6fatrat SLING SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

Lapua brass, the best of the best

McGraw likes this.
  9. 1badgoat

1badgoat Gold $$ Contributor

I have 140 pieces of 6.5x47L that are on their 27th firing. Primer pockets, necks, shoulders and bases show no signs of giving out. I haven't had to trim them in quite some time. I anneal after every firing.

Lapua for me, thank you.

DShort, D-4297, corsair4360 and 5 others like this.
  10. Twicepop

Twicepop Silver $$ Contributor

Years back Precision Shooting did a rifle brass longevity test, In the test they used Federal, Remington, Winchester, Norma and Lapua. After the 12th loading the American made brass had all met it's demise. At around the 25th loading the Norma brass had also given up. At the 50th loading of the Lapua brass, the test was called off because the brass had work hardened beyond practical usage. The author of the article said that he felt the test could continue if they had annealed the brass.

DShort, mikeinct, Mulligan and 6 others like this.
  11. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Speaks a lot about the fit of your brass in your chamber. I've got a chamber (done by someone else) that will open up Lapua primer pockets in 2 firings. Barrel very accurate but...

mikeinct and ScottVA like this.
  12. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Good Read.
    I have a New Build under way. The Shop going to do the Barrel stated My Reamer is for Lapua Brass …..
    If I get 10 reloading's I will be Happy .

13. Coyotefurharvester

Coyotefurharvester

I have a minimum saami short freebore 22-250, but I haven't ordered Lapua brass because I believe it may not fit.

14. Geronimo Jim

Geronimo Jim Gold $$ Contributor

I have 55 loading on a set of 30br. No lost cases. Anneal every time.

Mulligan and RegionRat like this.
  15. BigKev

BigKev

Might I ask if this is the new "blue box" or the old cardboard "gold box" brass ?? Thank you.

16. Lefty Trigger

Newer stuff blue box.

17. BigKev

BigKev

Thank you

18. Webster

Webster

The extraction groove and primer pocket are not in the chamber. IMO if you get loose primer pockets it can only be caused by pressure. The loads may be safe but it's enough to expand the pocket.

corsair4360, dmoran and Sandstorm like this.
  19. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Like you say theres only one way primer pockets expand and its pressure- whether its in 2 firings or spread out over 20 its up to the reloader

corsair4360 and DHuffman like this.
  20. Anon331717

Anon331717

"I just buy Berger factory ammo and I keep the Lapua brass"

Exactly what I have done too