Jard Trigger with savage?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by BP1, Dec 4, 2019.

1. BP1

BP1 Team Texas F-TR Gold $$ Contributor

Have any of you folks tried one in a savage and how does it stack up to a sav11 trigger?

2. mikehotel

mikehotel

I replace the trigger on my A17 with the JARD, big improvement, It's a little pricy but what the hey, shoot pretty nice now.

3. Mike McCasland

Mike McCasland Gold $$ Contributor

Otis, I've got one of the new 6oz Jard's installed on a .308 Savage. I'll bring it this weekend if you'll be shooting.

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  4. BP1

Bring it I’m gonna try and hang with you fellas with my 26” barreled .223 the only thing is the trigger feels like a boat anchor.:D

5. J.d. Popkes

J.d. Popkes Silver $$ Contributor

And after this weekend are ya gonna give a full review? Do tell.

6. BP1

Not worth $220 dollars.

7. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

Mike, I am anxious to hear the story on this new Jard Trigger. - I have several Rifle-Basix SAV-2's and I'd like to know from someone using the new Jard how they perform as well as both the good & bad (as applicable) before I take a $227.45 plunge for a trigger.

Thanks Much - Ron -

JimSC likes this.
  8. LA50SHOOTER

Can you give the up & down sides ? and if possible how does it compare to the Rifle-Basix Model SAV-II ?

Thanks, - Ron -

9. Mike McCasland

Mike McCasland Gold $$ Contributor

Hey Ron,

I bought the 6oz model the week they released. It's a decent trigger, better than factory for sure, but it's a far cry from a Jewell or Bix etc. I don't have a pull gauge, but I'd guess mine is around ~10oz. I've set it lighter, but had it fail on me twice during matches (firing pin would follow on bolt close); not fun pulling a trigger apart while you're supposed to be shooting for record.

The trigger shoe is also massive and rounded; also has a decent bit of side to side play. It also won't allow for use of a safety on a non-accutrigger action (I think they now make a safety you have to pay $50 more for).

I was using this Savage to shoot FTR while waiting for a Panda to get built up for comp. Now that it's done, and I have another on the way, I'll probably never shoot it again in competition if I can avoid it.

The gun is accurate, the triggers just don't get light enough for me to get comfortable behind them...or if they do get light enough, they aren't reliable enough.

There's a big ~10 page thread about it over in the general section. Got a few folks other than myself that have tried it. Seems to be a mixed bag. I will say, don't expect it to be a Jewell/Bix/Flavio/Trigger Tech.

DHuffman, Dgd6mm and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  10. LA50SHOOTER

Thanks Mike - Much appreciate that honest evaluation. - Like yourself I'm looking for a reliable trigger (like a Jewell) that can be set to a light pull weight to use in competition. - And from what I'm seeing No one has filled that bill & met the expectations of competition shooters for Savages. - I'm still waiting for someone to build an honest to goodness 2-6 oz. trigger for the Savage platform as I have a few rifles built on the model 12 Target action and one 112 Magnum. - I guess for now I'll stick with the SAV-II set at about 8 oz. (for reliability sake). - You've told me what I need to know & I do appreciate it. - No more Savages for me because of the trigger availability. - One spends the money on the action, has it single-pointed by a good gunsmith along with the bolt bushed & double-sleeved & were into it just shy of what a custom action costs and mediocre triggers to deal with.

Again, I appreciate your candid and timely response back. - Ron -

Bigjoe38922 and Mike McCasland like this.
  11. BP1

Mike pretty much explained it..the only thing is the Jard broke a bit smoother but not that much.Save your money

LA50SHOOTER and Dgd6mm like this.
  12. BAS73

BAS73 Silver $$ Contributor

Does anyone know why someone doesn’t make a good trigger for a Savage? I’d love a trigger that could get to 2oz or less

46and2 likes this.
  13. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Gold $$ Contributor

I have one on a Savage 12 single shot.
    Fred Morreo ( sharp shooters supply) used to make them but for some reason stopped, he would only sell them if he timed and trued your action and installed it when he did the work.
    Breathe on it and it breaks like a piece of fine crystal.

14. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

Rjtfroggy, I think your answer contains the reason for the Savage trigger problem. The whole system is so unrefined to start with that to correct it you must address it as a whole not just one past of it. The old saying you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear applys. However, given its like of refinement it can deliver some amazing results. Shoot it and enjoy it but to me it does not represent a place to add additional investment too. Kinda like that fast 5 ft 7 165 running back in the NFL, he sure is fun to watch for the 4 or 5 games he survives but not a great idea to build a team around him.

15. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Gold $$ Contributor

Jeffppc, Savage can not make a trigger with out a safety PERIOD, liability would be astronomical.
    Most are asking for a low poundage trigger or ounces also a great liability, probably why no one makes one, they don't want to play with out a safety.
    Savage PTA's will go down to 6 oz. even a little lower if you are willing to spend the time playing with it, most aren't. I have a PTA with a 6 oz. still has the red blade on it and the original springs and safety, works fine.
    Way too many guys bad mouth Savage but their products brought many into the game and the Accu-trigger taught many shooters how to pull a trigger correctly, squeeze not jerk.
    Personally I have 13-14 of them and each one serves it's purpose, and now some just take up space, but they are paid for and cost nothing to keep.