Is the 338-378 to big for my ?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Ironworker, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Ironworker

Ironworker

I mounted a Zeiss V6 on my 338-378 WBY Mag can this scope handle the recoil of this beast ?

2. WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot

WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot Gold $$ Contributor

I don't have experience with the V6 Zeiss but I shoot a Weatherby Accumark 338-378 and it has very stout recoil as you well know. I have shattered my see through flip caps and the scope mounts have been loose on more than one occasion. As for too much recoil for the scope, it isn't common for a manufacturer to call that out. The high quality scopes are designed to take it. I reviewed the owners manual for the V6 at Zeiss's website but there was no mention or caution of recoil. Maybe someone on this forum has a story.

What my experience has taught me is you need very stout rings and bases. I recommend a minimum of 4 screw ring caps and there are 6 screw cap style rings available now, the Burris XTR series. I'm using the Mark 4 series from Leupold currently. They have 4 screw caps per ring and large base nuts that can take more torque. If my scope moves around again, I will install a set of XTR rings. I should mention that all my issues where when I was shooting without the brake installed.

Zero333, hogpatrol and Ironworker like this.
  3. Ironworker

Ironworker

I installed a Terminator T4 Brake on it.Its amazing how well it works,oh but the muzzle blast is incredible.