High power competition rule question

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Rockola2018, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Rockola2018

Rockola2018

I compete in service rifle across the course competitions and would like any knowledgeable opinions as to whether or not the blinder shown in the photos is legal. I’m still waiting for an answer from NRA.

Attached Files:

2. 6BRLongRange

6BRLongRange

I dont think it will be, thats a "modification" to the gun in their opinion

Taildrag15X likes this.
  3. chkunz

chkunz Gold $$ Contributor

I do not think it is against any high power rifle rule.

4. 6BRLongRange

6BRLongRange

He mentioned Service Rifle, are you shooting NRA only, or CMP?

5. Rockola2018

Rockola2018

6. XTR

XTR

Before the rules were modified to allow scopes it would have been a slam dunk - NO.

Today I lean toward yes. Funny thing about XTC shooting is that they actually have an entire sub-forum dedicated to rules. (if that tells you anything)

You should post the question there.

7. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

You CAN attach a blinder to your glasses or shooting cap...

SWRichmond and Taildrag15X like this.
  8. PDS

PDS Silver $$ Contributor

Taildrag15X likes this.
  9. akajun

akajun

I would argue that it is against the rules, however, you can have a flip scope cap so maybe if you modify that flip scope cap to act as a blinder it would fly.
    Either way get a letter from cmp and NRA to prvent match day headache

10. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Gold $$ Contributor

It'll be fine, as far as the rules.

As far as durability...

I think not.

You're overthinking this Service Rifle thing:

...or use a little strip of matte 3M tape.

hpshooter likes this.
  11. Twdmar

Twdmar

Do you really think it would be legal? I would think you'll still get pushback from officials .
    Just tuck a piece of cardboard in your hat brim. And if you lose it, another piece of cardboard is easy to find.

12. Rockola2018

Rockola2018

Thanks for all the responses. If the NRA ever answers my query I might ask for the waiver. I wear a blinder on the left lens of my shooting glasses. I am left eye dominant but a natural right-handed shooter. I've tried switching sides but don't like it at all, so I'm staying with a blinder and shooting righty. My problem is setting up for the slow prone fire, my spotting scope is on my left. I have to flip up the blinder to use the spotting scope and that pulls me out of position. Using the blinder on the rifle eliminates that problem. Card in the cap gives the same problem and blinder on the cap visor easily gets knocked out of position. If it turns out to be illegal I'll experiment with putting the spotting scope on my right side. Durability is no problem - I am an air rifle team coach and my shooters use these things for years with no problem. It's a piece of plastic cut from a milk jug. I'm not sure what "overthinking this service rifle thing" means but thanks for the input!

Brady W likes this.
  13. Albany Mountain

Albany Mountain Silver $$ Contributor

I don't think a waiver is implied by the previous answers. They probably mean that the NRA or CMP has reviewed this equipment and says its alright for anyone, not just one person.

Rockola2018 likes this.
  14. natdscott

I meant what I said, and who you coach is not relevant to this discussion.

Put a piece of TAPE over the top half of your left lens. Look in the spotting scope through the bottom half.

Alternatively, with Champions or the like, just place the left lens low enough that your left eye is not looking through it when your right is on the gun.

Do you NEED a blinder at all though? Are you cross-dominant? If not, then I’m not convinced a blinder is the solution you need.

15. Rockola2018

Rockola2018

Yes I am cross dominant. I will try the tape over the top half of my left lens, thanks.

16. waltkrafft

waltkrafft

If you are left eye dominant, you will shoot better shooting left handed. Especially standing.

17. natdscott

Then I retract my previous statement, but agree with the above that you owe it to yourself to try shooting southpaw for a few months.

18. Twdmar

Twdmar

I shoot and use the spotting scope with the same eye. It works, I think, the best for my limitations.

19. Erud

Erud Gold $$ Contributor

You can even take natdscott’s tape advice a step further. The only spot that really needs to be covered is the exact point that your left eye is looking through while you are shooting prone.

Try this: Get into position and line up on target wearing your normal (not taped) shooting glasses. Cut about a 1/2” strip of the adhesive part of a post-it note, and experiment with where it needs to be on the lens to “shut off” your left eye. Once you find it, replace the post-it with a single piece of scotch tape - only as big as it needs to be. For me, it’s about a 1/2” wide by 1/2” tall piece coming down from the top of the lens. This is enough to block my eye when I’m shooting, but doesn’t interfere with other vision at all. I can look through the spotter easily just by moving my eye (not my head), and can walk around with them all day long without even noticing the tape is there.

Good luck,
    Erik

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 7:32 AM
  20. mgunderson

mgunderson sling shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Erud's comment is valid. That does explain why he is always walking into stuff. :D

I started out cutting pieces from a milk jug and moving them around. You want the light to get through to prevent strain or having your sighting eye over compensate.