Headache 6mm grendel

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Rdlningcltchdmpr, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Gold $$ Contributor

I am wanting to build a 6mm grendel bolt gun but i am pulling hair trying to get info on reamer, die's . i can't get a reamer until i get lapua 6.5 grendel brass necked down to 6mm. Then take measurements to get the reamer made. Tried to call that 6mmAR guy Whitley he doesn't answer or return messages. Other's have said use a 6ppc die to neck it down but l don't know if that would neck it down too much. Then i thought use a grendel bushing neck die but i don't know if that will size the neck all the way down to the shoulder ? If i could get one of those Whitley die's I'd be in business.

2. Ramblerman

Ramblerman Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot the 6mm Fat Rat...a bolt gun and an AR...t's an improved version of the 6mm Grendel...reamers (PTG) and dies (Whidden) are just a phone call away...no hair pulling needed. Just my $.02.

Rdlningcltchdmpr likes this.
  3. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

Check the .243 LBC, it's the non-proprietary version and compatible with 6 grendel.

Ramblerman likes this.
  4. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Check out the 6 Grinch also

Ramblerman likes this.
  5. Bogusname

Bogusname Gold $$ Contributor

I had JGS make one throated for 107smk’s. Give them a call. Pm me if you want the reamer print.
    It’s .243 LBC ar bs. No turn neck.

Rdlningcltchdmpr likes this.
  6. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Send me a pm. I'm shooting one in a br bolt rifle, have the reamer and can help on dies, etc, as well.--Mike Ezell

LarryDScott likes this.
  7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

.243lbc. No hassles due to a name nor non-answerers too big to take your call. The lbc put the halt to that nonsense

8. Bogusname

Bogusname Gold $$ Contributor

I will also note, from my experience, the charge weights and velocities you see, start a good bit lower and don’t get your hopes up to high. That’s if you want your brass to last more than fire forming then maybe once more.

9. JohnW...ski

JohnW...ski

Below is the 6mm Grendel I built using a sized case from my 6mm AR built by Whitley. I get my best groups shooting 90 gr. Bergers, the groups open up with heaver bullets. I had JGS make the reamer and can get you the drawing if you contact me. My reamer was made with no throat and I cut the throat separately to the dimension I wanted. I would recommend you save the money for the throating reamers and just get your reamer made with the throat dimension you need.

John

BAT Machine action, rifle built by Goodling.JPG

10. DJSBRS

DJSBRS Site $$ Sponsor

If you would like a piece of brass necked sized down correctly, please send it to me and I’ll do it for you no charge.

DJ
    DJ’s Brass Service
    205-461-4680

jp, LarryDScott and DNorton like this.
  11. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks for the offer. I think i now know what to do.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  12. Roeder

Roeder Silver $$ Contributor

Who makes that stock? I need one of those.

Scott

13. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

My experience has been just the opposite. It's impressive to me how much speed can be made with this little case and the Lapua brass has proven to be top shelf. There's very little data out there for a 6 Grendel and most of that is based on ar15 rifles, that simply can't take the pressures of a good bolt gun. Regardless, I agree that it's always a good thing to start low and work up with loads.