guess I'm getting old and nostalgic

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by CT10ring, Feb 15, 2019.

1. CT10ring

CT10ring Gold $$ Contributor

Was cleaning my rem 700 .223 , consuming an adult beverage ( no shooting or reloading, just bronze brush + butches!), and reflecting on of how cool this shooting sport is, and the people in it. Recall calling Ed Brown, describing small groups at 300 yds w his .308 (the freight train of cartridges) to him, asking about his amazing rifle actions, why I was out of windage at 1000 yds. ? Good resolution :) and learning...

Speaking with John Krieger at some length about 6.5mm bullets. I recall
    his mentioning a tendency for bullets to travel "nose up", at long range.
    precession or some such.

Calling the "guys" at "old" Sinclair to order something I didn't understand exactly, or probably need...and a tech rep asking how did I "neutralize" (my barrel after swabbing w Sweets, Montana Extreme or some such). I told him him alcohol - Jim Beam . Think he spit his coffee all over his computer.

Greg Tannel allowing me to spend an entire day in his shop, tagging along. Again, alotta learning, for an OK varmint shooter.

Like getting Tom Brady to show you how to feel the laces, read the d and drill it.

The passion and kindness of shooters is inspiring. I wish folks governing our country had an inkling.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  2. beak

beak Silver $$ Contributor

Me to . those were the old days---[long gone] . beak

3. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Everything was much more "relaxed" No worrying about case capacity, how much a bullet weighs, primer depths...Etc. etc. Ahhhh, the price we pay for progress!

Willie likes this.
  4. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I think more time was used improving shooting skills rather than searching for a secret.

5. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0

The information highway(web) has opened things up. Paths we had to take are no longer needed, it's at most peoples fingertips today.
    Reflection sometimes is good, but then it can only be shared with like individuals who actually understand. Always cherish the memories.
    Younger or new guys reach in 2 yrs today what took 10 yrs to accomplish yrs ago, but it's still important to pass your skills on.

littlebuddybr, hogpatrol and rwj like this.
  6. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

Agreed! But we can only live in the present, so also cherish every day!

'Freak, CT10ring and Bill K like this.
  7. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

This is an amazing sport and amazing people that share so much even though on the line they are competitors.
    I can remember as a young boy still in grade school, I use to visit with an old gunsmith after school, this was back in the 60's. I would spend hours there, waiting for my parents to get off work, watching him work and learning from him.
    I can remember the rack of rifles on the wall, many military surplus, some sportorized others just as they were, Winchesters, Remington, Weatherby, etc. Living on the Oregon Coast, brush guns were king, with the steep hills and brush that grew in all too quickly after an area was logged off. The Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 dominated the hunting scene. Seemed like every other truck had one hanging on the rack in the back window.
    I can still see his shop, the lathe in the corner, next to the door that when open, looked out onto the Wilson River and his test range right there. His bench, dark with years of oils and cleaners. Tools hung on the wall, but no matter how much was hung, there were always tools on the bench.
    That same kind of individual that today I have the pleasure to talk with on this forum and on the firing line.
    Love the memories!

Bill K, Snuggie and hogpatrol like this.
  8. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

:) "These are the good ol' days". :)

DirtySteve, Snuggie, msinc and 5 others like this.
  9. VaRandy

VaRandy

Stay with the Jim Beam, give up the bronze brush! From another old fart trying to get more mileage on his barrels since retirement.

hogpatrol likes this.
  10. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Yeah Butch but with out such searching for the secret, we would not have the Creedmoor.. lol..

And now back to your regularly scheduled programing..

butchlambert, CT10ring and hogpatrol like this.
  11. CT10ring

make that "older" :) Also I think 3 shot groups are just fine.
    truly amazing- like learning here. keeps ya young. or less confused. plus now I grasp precession & lead obturation.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  12. Paula Marie Hamilton

Paula Marie Hamilton Gold $$ Contributor

You guys can call it the old days, but it's still happening today, maybe just not talked about as much because you don't know listing & ready to make a scene. My son's team has 2 days, 1 is there every week, 1 when he can. Then me who will watch the line to let the dads coach. They keep the price of being on the team ⬇️$100 by doing the Friends of NRA & the club dinner. What you don't hear is what happens at the dinners. How the hat is passed, how the 50/50winner donated his wins back. How the pickle jar by the poster showing the kids in action had $5 & $10 stuffed in it. You don't hear how Jeannie Redicker came to practice to help coach and reinforce good sound basics. The club members wo donate ammo & gear that is used or raffled for the team. So yes it's still happening but what has changed is we no longer feel safe to talk about it in public. In the old days (before 1980) if someone disagreed they may flip you off, or call you a name in passing, but now it's acceptable to haras to the point of physical assault. So guys who donate shooting Matt's for the whole team don't talk about it. No patting him on the back at dinner explaining to those at his table what he did for fear one of those radical idiots may hear & dump a plate n his head. Now it's done with a wink, or a head nod, but fear not its still happening, just look at our team.

https://www.facebook.com/1704461163106539/posts/2158219061064078/

DirtySteve likes this.
  13. rr2030

rr2030

They say, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Dub likes this.
  14. CT10ring

Honestly, I was reflecting on the caliber ( wow, that's a heckuva pun) of folks shooting, and being able to talk with - at length - some pretty awesome
    individuals in this field, who clearly are passionate. Yeah, they have to sell, and turn a profit, but go a bit deeper and that zeal is still there. I'm constantly blown away by the skills of gunsmiths / machinists / artisans / creators ).
    The term gunsmith doesn't begin to describe the skills some have.

15. CT10ring

thanks for the look see. character cannot be denied. with or without a shouldered firearm. :)

16. CT10ring

I don't have a bore scope. so ignorance is bliss. I do have some blue plastic brushes...

hogpatrol likes this.
  17. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

In the middle of an expensive custom varmint build I buy a 1930 Model 99 in .300 Savage.

Nostalgic? Me? Nah.

CT10ring likes this.
  18. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

keep the bronze brush and the butch's. thats the modern way actually. you can keep the good old days of lee loaders, neck sizing, and hoppes on patches run thru a loop jag. but the old way of simple shooting is actually still alive. im as old school as anybody- i actually shot 40rds thru my 1967 marlin 336 today at sticks or leaves floating down a creek- 20 of them were with iron sights after i took a quarter and removed my scope with the tip off rings. and guess what? it was remington core lokt bullets I bought at the store. i left the brass laying there (I looked at the pile many times) because i dont even own dies for it. then I shot my 45acp blackhawk and of course my m1a that i try to shoot once a week.

CT10ring and Rsadams like this.
  19. Rsadams

Rsadams

That's fun shooting right there.... I used to love to do the same.... It's easy to forget shooting is supposed to be fun....

20. CT10ring

win_mod 67.jpg

hogpatrol and CaptainMal like this.