Gluing In a Panda

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by NV_Dmax, Jul 11, 2019.

1. NV_Dmax

NV_Dmax Gold $$ Contributor

Hello,
    I’m going to attempt to glue and screw a Panda fclass into a fully inletted McMillan Kestros Z. I have a few questions. The stock came from McMillan with pillars installed but they’re worthless as they machined them flush when they inletted the stock. Should I skim bed first then go back and glue in? How thick do you want the epoxy for the glue in? I am assuming coat the whole bottom/sides along the stock line of the action as opposed to a few globs of epoxy here and there. How do you guys recommend holding the barrled action to the stock while the epoxy sets up. I normally use a couple wraps of blue painters tape around the action and stock.
    As always I’m looking for a better way and would really like to cut my learning curve down on this one.

thanks,
    Dan

jimmymac likes this.
  2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Why are the pillars worthless? Once you put the epoxy in there they will be below the epoxy which is where they need to be anyway. The only problem with mcmillans pillars are they are very thin. They work fine though

3. ledward

ledward Silver $$ Contributor

tagged

4. NV_Dmax

NV_Dmax Gold $$ Contributor

What’s the point of the pillar?

Thanks for telling me where the epoxy goes but this still doesn’t answer my questions.

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Keep the screws from pulling thru and expansion/contraction in wood stocks