G7 of pointed 139 scenars

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Pigdog, May 4, 2019.

1. Pigdog

Pigdog

Thinking of getting a pointing die for use with lapua 139 scenars. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what sort of BC increase they have personally seen with them pointed. The lapua G7 bc of .290 has been accurate for me, they have a very large meplat though.

Also how about the Berger 130vld I also shoot these. They have a much smaller meplat so not sure how gain could be had from Pointing these?

Thanks

2. Pigdog

Pigdog

Anyone ?

3. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

According to what I have read from Bryan Litz you might be in the 3-5% increase range if done correctly and consistently. I know with the Berger 155.5 Fullbores BC increased a scant 1%.

Pigdog likes this.
  4. Pigdog

Pigdog

Thanks for the reply mate. Yer i would imagine a lot more could Be gained from the scenars due to the relative massive meplat compared to Bergers was hoping someone would have actual real world results with the 139

5. rogn

rogn Silver $$ Contributor

Question, wouldnt pointing contribute more to consistency of BC rather than to increased BC?

6. watercam

watercam Gold $$ Contributor

Sierra has been pointing their match bullets for some time now, I think successfully to a point (every pun intended) but not so I would notice the difference.
    Some 15+ years ago David Tubb was selling a meplat trimmer for his DTAC bullets so as to make them more consistent. That, of course, lowered the BC ever so slightly. Next came pointing for theoretically slightly higher BCs which morphed into meplat trimming followed by pointing. I gave up on the concept and tried learning to read the wind better and hold harder to control my vertical dispersion. That ended up being an easier solution.

Pigdog and Bc'z like this.
  7. mikegaiz

mikegaiz Stay frosty, my friend. Silver $$ Contributor

Bc'z and Pigdog like this.