Fluting blanks

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by 4xforfun, Mar 19, 2020.

1. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

Not finding what I want on the search engine. What is the "rule" for fluting tubes. I found a tube I want/need, but it needs to be fluted to make weight. Krieger 17# HV

Thanks,
    Tod

2. Willie

Willie Gold $$ Contributor

Because of variances in caliber and barrel contour, you would be safe by checking with your manufacturer, to not overly flute. Some show it on their site, some would answer a phone question.

Stan Taylor and 338 dude like this.
  3. dogdude

dogdude Egan O'Brien Gold $$ Contributor

Tod, I had a 2'' blank fluted Deep, Really Deep.it saved 7 oz, you probably be better off taking an inch or so off..if you can.

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Get it completely chambered and fit before you do anything. Tell the gunsmith how much it can weigh. You can take less off the big end compared to the front end. Then send it to boltfluter to get the right kind of fluting to take off the weight

cjames, DaveTooley and Stan Taylor like this.
  5. C.E.Smith043

C.E.Smith043 Gold $$ Contributor

To my understanding it's best to flute before the final lapping is done. Is this correct? Seems like I read an article in PS years ago on this topic and supposedly fluting after final lapping would cause some irregularities in the bore deminisons, admittedly very minute.

6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Its all in how accurate you need it to be. Youll never know it was fluted on anything but a very good short range br rifle.

7. Nightraider

Nightraider Silver $$ Contributor

8. Frank Blum

Frank Blum Silver $$ Contributor

9. XTR

XTR Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like a concrete bit

10. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

20200320_071518-1.jpg I don't think you guys realize what a handful of chips weigh.LOL
    Here is one pass 26 inches on turning a gun barrel .150 thousands this is approximately how much the chips weighed approximately.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    varminthunter1, hpshooter and jepp2 like this.
  11. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

How much weight do you need to save?
    For every .250" on the breech end of a 1.250" barrel you save 1.33 ozs.
    I would start there.

cjames, dogdude, Stan Taylor and 2 others like this.
  12. XTR

XTR Gold $$ Contributor

Can’t read the units on the scale. .4 oz?

Stan Taylor likes this.
  13. Stan Taylor

That scale is 1.6 ounces per tenth the scale reads .40 so that would be 6.4 ounces.

14. jdh47

jdh47 Silver $$ Contributor

Krieger does fluting, why not let them do it? You can call them and get a quote. It couldn't hurt.

4xforfun likes this.
  15. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

Tod
    Have only had one match barrel fluted, and did it for the weight savings exclusively.
    31" HV Bartlein 6mm/243 --- 6 flutes, 22" long each, reduced the weight 1-lb

Note: personally would never flute a pulled "button rifled" barrel unless it was fluted before it is rifled, do to added stress. But the fluting to a single point "cut rifled" barrel is a form of stress relief, which can be done before or after rifling.
    Good Luck

16. JimPag

JimPag

IMG_1414.JPG I just had this done about a month or so ago. They took off 21oz on a HV Krieger 17TW. It balances just exactly where I run all my rifles. IMG_1411.JPG IMG_1412 (1).JPG

simo hayha, Adam in WI and remdriver like this.
  17. Ramblerman

Ramblerman Gold $$ Contributor

Stan Taylor likes this.
  18. Stan Taylor

20200320_115742-1.jpg 20200320_120410-1.jpg After reading someone's comment about not fluting button rifled barrels I thought I would do a little bit of measuring and here's what I come up with I air gauged it from one end to the other and needle didn't move on air gauge no fluctuation whatsoever so I tend to disagree on the fluting of a button rifle barrel.

19. INTJ

INTJ Gold $$ Contributor

Several years ago I had a 300 WSM LR/BR Light Gun built. I told the gunsmith (a barrel maker) to make the barrel 1.45 for 5" with a straight taper to .95" at 30", then flute to make weight.

He made the barrel then cut 10 flutes .25 x .25 x 24". That was way too much. The rifle could have weighed 17 lbs but came in at 15lbs 2oz WITH a NF BR scope mounted.

That rifle shot very well. One year I shot five screamer groups with it and set two club agg records. However, the barrel acted more like a LV contour. While it was exceptional when shooting five shot groups, it was not competitive shooting 10-shot groups.

I had my puller spot my bullets one day during a 10 shot group. The first five were awesome, but shots 6-10 progressively opened up in an arc. So I stopped shooting it in the HG class.

On the plus side, with that many flutes that deep and wide, the barrel did cool a little more quickly.

20. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Check with Greg at Southern Precision Rifles. Website is bugholes.com
    He has a bunch of barrels in stock and can flute them as well.