So long story short I traded for a Howa in 223 a year ago. Gun had a few problems I could see right off primarily that it fit poorly in the Boyd’s stock it was in. A few months of tinkering in my spare time ended up with it pillar bedded and free floated but it still would not shoot better than 2”@ 100. Bore seemed good and checking the throat with a Stoney point gauge showed a fairly new barrel. Looking down the bore it seemed to be ok. When I finally got a bore scope it showed why, the bore from the throat to about halfway down showed small bits of random clusters of pits . I’ve never seen anything like it , I’ve seen full on pitted bores from poor cleaning, corrosive ammo, etc but not like this. Anyway the pitting was causing extreme smearing and fouling just as random as the pitting. Scrubbing with JB paste removed the fouling, but not the pitting. Figuring I had nothing to loose I made up 30 lapping bullets from 220 , 320, and 600 grit compound by pressing/ rolling them between two mild steel plates. Loading them up in old brass I went to the range and began firing away. The procedure I used was a super clean bore. Fire five shots, clean, fire five more, clean, etc. in total I fired 10 of each grit. I then cleaned the bore really well and began firing. i started with American eagle 55gr fmj, while a little wild at first it printed a 1.5” group for its first 5 rd group but the flyers being the first two shots I fired another one which was slightly under 1”. Next I fired 4 five shot groups with federal 55gr trophy bonded bear claw. Three were 3/4” and one 1/2” group. I’m very pleased. Some things to contemplate if you consider doing this yourself. Use loads on the bottom end of velocity, I used 25gr of Varget simply because my Dillon was already set up for it. I had a few popped out primers and hard extractions. I probably should have used 23gr. Two wipe your cleaning rod off each time you pull it back, even when brushing, I felt grit each stroke.