Finally I get to Open a Bolt for PPC!

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Grimstod, May 31, 2019.

1. Grimstod

Grimstod Machinist, Designer, and Shooter. Gold $$ Contributor

Ok so its not a PPC its a 6.5 Grendel but its the parent case. :D Ya I have wanted to do this for a while now. Its pretty easy. I am posting up photos below if anyone else wants to give it a go. The bolt is one I have fluted, bushed turned up and done a bolt lift kit on. Now its getting another barrel this time for 6.5 Grendel. Naturally its not the same bolt face as the 6.5x47 so a 223 bolt head was acquired with the ejector claw and plunger. Get the ejector claw for the 308 size not the 223. Pretty easy to open up the bolt head and true it up. I also bushed it to so it fits the old firing pin witch has also been bushed and turned down to a smaller size. The extractor claw was tricky and I use a big magnifying glass and DRO to know what is getting cut on that tinny part. It took some time back and forth on the mill but I got it right. Next one should be a breeze.

IMG_3649.jpeg IMG_3650.jpeg IMG_3651.jpeg IMG_3652.jpeg IMG_3653.jpeg

2. Grimstod

IMG_3655.jpeg IMG_3657.jpeg IMG_3654.jpeg IMG_3658.jpeg More photos of it after being trued up and a final of the assemble heads next to each other.

DHuffman likes this.
  3. Grimstod

This is the mill work. You have to cut the underside and then flip it over and use a ball end mill to give the top a nice scooped ramp so the cartridge clips in easy. IMG_3660.jpeg IMG_3661.jpeg IMG_3659.jpeg

DHuffman and Evlshnngns like this.
  4. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

what is the blue stuff called?

5. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

blue stuff.

jimmymac and Grimstod like this.
  6. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Ok. hope that was a bit funny. I call it bluing. Steel blue or layout fluid. Sometimes called by brand name, Dykem.

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

It lets you know the exact moment your tool touches or you can scribe a line in it without gouging the part

Grimstod and group therapy like this.
  8. milanuk

milanuk Gold $$ Contributor

Didn't it used to also be called "Prussian Blue"?

Grimstod likes this.
  9. group therapy

banging.gif

jimmymac likes this.
  10. group therapy

yeah, maybe a littleo_O!!LOL

11. Danny1788

Danny1788

Thanks for sharing, this forum needs more stuff like this, I learn more and more every time

Grimstod likes this.
  12. Grimstod

Thanks everyone. So the blue is a permanent marker. I have red black and blue on my bench for various things. I think the official technical term is marking fluid. I also keep a bottle of dark blue ink handy on the bench.

13. Roeder

Roeder Silver $$ Contributor

Prussian blue is "spotting ink". It stays wet and is used to mark contact areas when fitting parts. Layout dye dries very fast and is used to scribe layout lines or to show tool contact when machining or grinding.

14. RWO

RWO

For those that have a standard( .473") Savage bolt head, a new slightly longer extractor is all you need to work with the PPC head size in a single shot action. No bushing needed. I don't know about a repeater, but I suspect it will work there also.

RWO

15. milanuk

milanuk Gold $$ Contributor

Good to know. Back in Uncle Sam's canoe club, I remember the machinist's talking about using Prussian Blue for some of their work... and some of their pranks. Not a lot of call for the stuff in electrical power / control work I did, and I steered clear of the latter!

16. Grimstod

I found there is to much slop then. The ejector claw pushes it off center then you have primer strikes off center. Causes SD to go up. But that is a good quick and dirty way to do it.

17. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Your chamber is what centers the case, not the boltface. The boltface needs to be loose and have no influence on the case

Boyd L., RWO, Doug Beach and 2 others like this.
  18. redlabel12ga

redlabel12ga Silver $$ Contributor

Savage made a pic bolt head

19. redlabel12ga

redlabel12ga Silver $$ Contributor

20. Grimstod

I know that. But your firing pin strikes will not be centered. That can ruin your SD and Harmonics. As the firing pin penentrates the primer off center, if it hits a leg of the anvil it will begin ignition earlier then if it hits between one of the legs of the anvil and will cause a lot of flyers.