Finally got to shoot my 6br N I built. Few questions please.

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by MrBottleneck, Aug 27, 2017.

1. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

I sent mine to Greg on a monday and it was back the following monday. He does an outstanding job with zero issues after getting it done. I cant recommend him enough as he does them all the time so he has the time to just keep doing them over and over. Mine pierced a primer with a starting load and after I looked at it closer I couldnt believe what a crummy job remington did to it in the first place.

MrBottleneck likes this.
  2. MrBottleneck

MrBottleneck Silver $$ Contributor

Yea, Jon my range is shutting down October 15th for some remo work so, I plan on sending it to gre-tan once its down for work.
    One thing I can say is I love the 6br I built.
    What a pleasure to shoot. Little to no recoil and easy on powder giving great accuracy. Not to mention from what I can tell easy to find a good shooting load for. Whats not to like.
    Granted I am still playing with loads but, I shot it last weekend and it did really well (in my book) for a load I had never shot before.
    I did 32gr Win760 2.349coal 1.772-ogive (.005 off) Berger Target 105vlds.
    I didn't shoot a ton but, it put up three decent groups.
    All about like this one at .25 at 100
    image.jpeg
    Thanks again for everyone voicing opinions. Helping me through this build and giving me guidance when needed. Its greatly appreciated. :)

3. Webster

Webster

It may not be pressure but the size of the firing pin hole. I noticed recently working up loads with increasing charge the crater got more pronounced with increasing charge. It was not excess pressure. I think the Rem 7 1/2 primer has a thicker cup? The craters in the pictures are more prominent than what I have seen on my 6BR 700 Action. Maybe the load is starting to get high pressure. The Berger and Sierra manual list 29.4 gr of Varget as max charge. Why do you think 29.0 gr of Varget is a light load?

4. Texas10

Texas10 Silver $$ Contributor

I had a new Savage model 12 in 223 that blanked just about every factory and hand load I put in it. Sent it back twice, but they never fixed it. Finally called customer service and bought 6 firing pins, at about $6 each IIRC and cherry picked one that fit the best. The original pin was .008 to .009 undersized to the bolt head. New pin is .002 under. Problem solved.

FWIW: I built a Savage model 12 6mmBR and get the exact same looking primer using CCI450's. Shoots fine, never blanked a primer @30.3 to 30.5 Varget and 105 Hybrids.

5. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

Mr Bottleneck,
    Despite all the other comments posted in response to your initial post, why not consider testing with other primers before doing ANYTHING to your present set-up??????? Besides, you've barely even STARTED to break this rifle in. IMHO, changing things at this point is rather premature.

Alex