Fast twist .223 - trying to get 53gr V-Max to shoot well

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by IA_shooter, Mar 21, 2015.

1. txnintn

txnintn

Cat,
    I was not trying to change what you said. Sorry, I guess my smart phone aint that smart.
    The loading data is from Hodgdon's website and according to my Lyman's 49th addition the fastest max load for a 53 pill is 41.0 grain of H380 with a 3706 fps.
    Of course both mfg have to cover their butts on loading data, all you have to do is look at the pressures all well below the 22-250's pressure CUP rating.

By the way, I called Hornady, and they do NOT recommend the 53 grain V-Max in a 14" twist barrel.

But I have a load I'm going to sneak up on which Quickload is reporting around 3900 fps, if they don't stabilize at this speed, there nothing left of changing the barrel.
    Txnintn

NOTE : The V-Max did stabilize at 3900 FPS.

My first shot was 1.5" low at 7 o'clock @ 3885 with a slight egg shape. The second shot drilled the bullseye @ 3905 FPS. The next two hugged the bullseye. The last shot was an inch high at 2 o'clock after being launched @ 4025 FPS. The 3 shot grouping was .6 not to bad considering a windy day with gusts up to 15 MPH and swirling around the target.
    Txnintn

2. varmintshooter

varmintshooter

Just an update here, the 53 vmax is shooting well out of my 8 twist 223 AI. I have also been shooting some 75 amax @ 3000 with much less drift in the wind. I have a CBI 9 twist barrel that shoots the 53's very well but will not shoot the 75's. I would recommend an 8 twist for anyone wanting to shoot the 53 vmax as you will have the option of shooting heavier bullets.

3. IA_shooter

IA_shooter Silver $$ Contributor

After I get back from my PD trip where I'll get 250-300 pcs of brass fire formed in my CBI 223AI barrel, I'll be playing with some 60 grain V-max bullets and some 69 grain Sierras. They should do well out of my 1-9 twist barrel and I'll have plenty of fire formed brass to play with finally.