ELR Competition: A Begginers Perspective

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by D.Stone, Mar 20, 2019.

1. D.Stone

D.Stone

So I have shot a grand total of 2 Extended Long Range Matches; both in Blakely GA. If you've seen the bad video of the new ELR Record...I'm the guy that filmed it. I am new to ELR Shooting, but not new to shooting in general. I placed 2nd in the first match and was only beat by the guy that I let borrow my gun, and placed 4th in the second match...only beat by myself just not doing my part, and my general suckage.

The Blakely ELR Match is organized into two categories which I think is rather unique; light gun and heavy gun. Light gun gives guys like me with big 30 calibers, or fast 6.5s and 7mms a place to try out against one another without having to measure ourselves against larger bored cartridges.

I figured I would share a few of the things I have learned in a short amount of time.

1.) First...it is not that complicated...a lot can be done with very rudimentary equipment. I shot both matches while using the AB Phone App, and just pulled station pressure, temperature, and humidity off of my Kestrel (I don't have the custom drag curves on my Kestrel.) I also don't have a scope level on my rifle, and I have been using the same Harris bipod on all of my rifles for the past 6 years.

The first match we made hits on every target out to 1950 yards with just a 100 yard zero and a Berger custom curve. I shot 3 rounds across a chronograph in the morning to check my zero and velocity...and just went with it. We didn't bring a spotting scope or a shooting mat.

2.) Break your data into a way that is easily digestible, and correct for things that you can see. All of our data for the first match literally fit on a 3x6 inch piece of notebook paper.

The method that I came up with was to use the scope adjustments to remove all secondary effects so that the bullet would hit center in a no-wind condition.

The second part is to write down how many miles per hour of wind it takes to move the bullet a full mil at that distance. For instance, my ammo will drift 1 mil for every 6 miles per hour of wind at 1187 yards. This makes it easy to use the hash marks in the scope to extrapolate a lot of info fairly quickly.

Just by knowing that 1 Mil = 6 miles per hour of wind, I can gauge roughly how much wind will put us off the target based on how much room it takes up in the scope. If the target is just under a mil wide...we should be able to get our hits as long as our wind call is within 5 mph. And we can use our impacts on this larger target to refine our wind call for further targets.

The main idea is to quickly convert a mile per hour wind value into a mil or moa hold. The goal is to be able to come off the line and say "We held for x miles per hour of wind" instead of "We held x-mil/moa for the wind." We want to trick our brain into looking at the Mil or MOA hash marks and thinking "That is 6 miles per hour...that is 9 miles per hour...that is 12 miles per hour."

Once we moved out to further distances, we noticed that we were holding for around 11-13 miles per hour of wind on average, but it could drop quickly down to 8 miles per hour. (I don't know if this is accurate for the first match because I think the winds were a little higher.)

We also noticed that a 36 inch target is not very big a 1950 yards, and 1 mil is 3 miles per hour which gave us an unreasonably small amount of wind error to play with...it was around 1 to 1.5 miles per hour. But we were able to get reasonably close because we knew our effective wind was going to be somewhere around the 12 mile per hour mark if the mirage was moving...and around the 8 mile per hour mark if it was only fluttering.

3.) Shooting the match is more important than winning; or at least to me it was. I brought a friend to the first one, and we shared a rifle because "light gun" is not an officially sanctioned category for ELR, and the non-official rules allowed for the sharing of a rifle as long as it wasn't fired concurrently. Light gun is a great way to test the waters and see if ELR is something that tickles your fancy.

For me, I like it because it does show myself what the limits of my equipment are. It's really easy to look at ballistic, but it's another thing to go out and do it, and do it on demand. For instance, 300 Winchester Magnum might be an out of style cartridge...but it really got the job done at both matches. I now have verified hits out to 2114 yards in competition with a rifle that I hunt with, and with the bullet and cartridge combination that I hunt with.

I also have a decent window of experience of how my combination stacks up against some others. For instance, I can say with a little bit of confidence that the 300WM is for most intents and purposes just as capable as the larger 300 Norma Magnum. The difference doesn't really become apparent until past 1500 yards...and this is where someone would say the 300 Norma really begins to shine...but the reality is neither actually shines past 1500 yards at all.

Prose, mongo chicago, Geno C and 6 others like this.
  2. Geno C

Geno C

That’s a very good write up. I’ve just built a 375 to start shooting father than my little rounds are effective. These things are always better with an open mind and a positive attitude. It’s going to be windy and rainy this weekend at Spearpoint a ELR shoot. I plan on having a blast anyway:cool:

simo hayha likes this.
  3. mongo chicago

mongo chicago

Excellent. Also shows that you don't have to spend yourself into the poor house to participate.