Drying rack/loading block

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by K9TXS, Aug 13, 2019.

1. K9TXS

K9TXS

I just started using the wet tumbling system that so many are in favor of. I made my own and it works very well.

The drying issue of the brass I was having were the cases drying, sometimes not very fast, some still had a trace of water in brass or the pocket and some had water marks.

I started using the dryer and that really helped a lot. Put the shoe rack in and I set my brass in a single layer in a stainless basket. However, some still had a trace of moisture after a long high heat drying cycle. So I decided to make a drying rack for the brass to go neck down into.

I tried out my drying rack today and it works great in the dryer. It may work well outside right now since in the Houston area we are having 103*F plus temperatures. Ten minutes on high heat and they're dry inside and out. I think I can reduce the drying time even shorter.

This particular rack will hold 136 pieces of 223, 221 FB, 20 Vartarg, etc. The top and bottom plate is 1/8" aluminum. I taped both plates together and drew my pattern on the tape. I used a small drill to drill all the pilot holes. Separating the plates, I continued to use my drill press for all the holes. By drilling all the pilot holes, everything lined up perfectly. The datum line rests on a hole on the bottom plate and the neck sticks through. I'll be placing some rubber feet on it tomorrow so it does not scare anything.

I can invert the case and the mouth will stand straight up and it can then be used as a loading block. I will probably make a much smaller version and use it for a loading block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

Looks cool! One thing I have learned about wet tumbling is after drying you might put them back in the separator and spin it to get any other ss media out, after they are dry the media doesn't stick to the brass, I do this as a "just in case a ss pin is still in there!". Block looks great.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

I like the concept. Dual purpose is another plus. Nice job.

Patrick

4. K9TXS

K9TXS

You're right. I don't use pins I use the other little flat thinges. I have a system I go through during the rinse cycle and they're checked at that time.

5. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

I bought a food dehydrator at a thrift store for $5. 5 trays can hold several hundred cases and I can separate calibers or times fired easily.

6. K9TXS

K9TXS

Good idea. Never thought of that. How long do you run the dehydrator?

7. Fast14riot

Usually takes only an hour or so this time of year, winter may take a little longer.

8. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

All I do is blow them out with air then through them in the tumbler!

Joe Salt

338 dude likes this.
  9. Boyd L.

Boyd L. Witty comment under development

I like the idea as I have tried a number of means to dry cases. While I appreciate the creativity, I decided to use a method simpler and in line with my resources. Keeping in mind the temperature at which water boils (and thus starts to vaporize) I dump my cases into cheap pie or cake tins, set the oven at 250°, remove after 20 minutes or so. No problems yet.

Fast14riot likes this.
  10. Fast14riot

I used to do that, but the thought of turning on the oven this time of year (105° today) lead me to my current solution, plus my loading room is in the basement at a nice cool 74° and no need to go up and down the stairs.

11. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

12. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

This rack is usually used as a dish drying rack. Great way to dry brass after wet tumbling. Blow dry then set all in the sun. Works great, it was a DJ’s Brass suggestion.
    Ben

13. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

I have used the convection oven to dry my brass after washing. I generally position them neck down in a pan with paper towel under to allow air flow and to keep the cases off the aluminum pan. Run for 20 minutes at 250 (lowest the oven will go).
    But it is a pain. I don't like to sit the cases on their side as we have hard water with a lot of chlorine in it. I don't want those solids and chemical residue in my case after the water evaporates. This is why I haven't purchased one of the De-Dehydrators.
    This is a nice idea. I can see setting it up to dry and to use as a loading tray too. Just have the hole in the bottom plate small as the neck so when turned neck up, the case will just sit there and then do your the rest of your loading.
    Going to make one up with some additional thoughts I have. Nothing else, fun to play with machinery.

14. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

Blow gun attachment and blow each case out. Then use a heat gun at 300 if I am in a hurry.

15. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

Be careful if you use one of these. Water gets trapped in the case even after sitting over night.

16. 338 dude

338 dude Silver $$ Contributor

Me too

17. chuckshooter

chuckshooter Silver $$ Contributor

I like the solar powered case dryer

18. 47WillysGuy

47WillysGuy

A small toaster oven at 325 for 15 mins, then 3/4 hour of cool down. No moisture.

19. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

I like it,simple design and dual purpose is a win/win . Great job.