Dr. Is on the way

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by tclaunch, Aug 24, 2019.

1. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

Lathe getting fitted with 3 phase motor and vfd. My 75 year old GE finally gave it up. I drilled and tapped mounting plate for a Baldor motor, frame size 56. Hope she runs as quiet as the old hoss did. Two awesome buddies coming over to do the chores of wiring and lifting motor assembly back home.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Don, Daveinjax and Dusty Stevens like this.
  2. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

You'll be happy.

3. rickiesrevenge

rickiesrevenge Silver $$ Contributor

You'll love the VFD

4. tclaunch

Well its complete, and job well done. I think it took longer for them to program the VFD than all other work. They missed first step turning on the wiring strip, I believe. It would only go reverse, but they caught it and all is running very smooth.

Daveinjax and Dusty Stevens like this.
  5. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

About time...

tclaunch likes this.
  6. butchlambert

Do you have braking resistors so you can instantly stop the spindle? Very cheap and easy to program.

7. tclaunch

It must, because it slows much faster than before, and we discussed decreasing spool up from 15 seconds down to 10 if its possible. Looks like VFD is going to be a time saver.

8. butchlambert

If you spend about $10 on the braking resistors, there is no few seconds delay. Yes, you will love the VFD.

9. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

The drives i use have them built in and you can program the braking time and braking time delay like when you turn it off it coasts for 2 sec then stops in 3sec or any time you set. It also has steps or ramps for starting

10. tclaunch

I dont have flush system, and have chambered 2 barrels since install. The 15 second restart, slows things down a bit having to stop and clear chips from reamer. I prebore to .440" 99% of the time, and that helps a lot.

My drive is a Lenze SMVector seems like I watched a you tube video about a guy swapping out a motor and drive system and parts were recommended by Tubal Cain. The video mentioned the drive was well suited for better torque numbers at low speed than some other brands.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  11. HillbillysniperSWVA

HillbillysniperSWVA Gold $$ Contributor

DD1EFC63-97BB-4DC7-BCC5-1C11F5D97F88.jpeg I love my 1963 South Bend 10L with 3 phase Baldor and VFD. Threading and Chambering little lathe!

sdean, Danny1788 and Dusty Stevens like this.
  12. tclaunch

That's a beauty!!

HillbillysniperSWVA likes this.