Disposing of old reloads..?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by tiny68, Jan 1, 2020.

1. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Silver $$ Contributor

If you have a recycling center around they usually have a couple days a year that they accept hazardous waste such as pesticides. Many will take old ammo also.

2. WIB3

WIB3

Obviously you seem to be overwhelmed with your situation. If you have no monitory reasons to keep the stuff I would contact your local State Police and explain the situation. They most definitely will help you or give proper information on legal disposal. I have had experience with this situation in the past.

3. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Our local fire department will take old ammo.

tiny68 likes this.
  4. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

If you are near Bartlesville I will take it all off your hands and will promise (check my reputation) I will not shoot it but will demill it all safely.

Snert

joshb likes this.
  5. AJC

AJC

Old guys have great stuff. I am sure if you dont want to deal with it a bunch of people here will help out. If your location was even within a few hundred miles I would drive there and haul it away. 7.7 jap is not just laying around on the range these days to pick up.

6. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Gold $$ Contributor

Please don't let it go to waste. Someone will put those components to good use.

7. Sieg

Sieg

That 22 Rem Jet brass may have some value to a collector. My understanding is it's scarce.

8. Rsadams

Rsadams

I did 800-900 .223 last year and used the hornady puller and it was fast and easy , the ammo was 30 years old and it pulled the bullets with no real problems and some were stuck for sure... The only problem I see is it like most pullers uses collets so you will need the correct ones...

9. CarlGeorge

CarlGeorge Gold $$ Contributor

It sounds like you've got a plan given some of the responses.

<Wow.....in the time it took me to type up a reply and report that my local landfill accepts ammo someone multiple responses before me me beat me to it! It's what I love about this site: MANY members who are ACTIVE and HELPFUL.>

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  10. gary0529

gary0529

Thanks for the reply.

11. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino

Linemans pliers work for me.

12. Pinetreebbs

Pinetreebbs

Get a local auction house to sell the ammunition for recycling or component recovery. I've seen many lots of estate reloads get sold.

13. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

As former Law Enforcement Officer, I can tell you that we always accepted things of this nature for disposal. The unused powder is simple to get rid of. Just dump in in your garden. It is good fertilizer. From the sounds of things, you have too much ammo to dissect into parts.

I would simply call the police and let them deal with it.

WyleWD likes this.