Dime size groups all day long

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by dkhunt14, Feb 4, 2017.

1. djporter

djporter Silver $$ Contributor

I had a guy tell me he dropped a doe at 420 yards with a M1 carbine, open sights, DRT. Never took a step, I'll bet he also shot those dine size groups!

dkhunt14 likes this.
  2. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

Dated -- 1965, HOLY CRAP!! I think that's a silver dime! jd

[​IMG]

3. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

Hey Matt bring that dime with you to the range, I want to see you keep them all in there at 1000 yards.
    I shouldn't say that he probably can!

Joe Salt

hogpatrol, dragman and dkhunt14 like this.
  4. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm

I didn't know Little Marco Rubio was a shooter.

mikeinct, timeout and wholman like this.
  5. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

And the story's have been the same since 65 to.

6. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Was he shooting from the hip or was he aiming?

dkhunt14 likes this.
  7. potatoe

potatoe Silver $$ Contributor

:D:D

"ONE hole everytime!"

or the guy "I have a gun that shoots like that". . . yeah ya do, everyone leaves their good guns at home and likes packing everything up and going to the range to shoot bad groups while getting a sore shoulder.

boltfluter, dkhunt14 and Zero333 like this.
  8. Downhill

Downhill

Damn- I've been measuring my groups all wrong.

mikeinct likes this.
  9. Don

Don Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks Love the post :)

dkhunt14 likes this.
  10. Spike A

Spike A Silver $$ Contributor

I love talking to guys at the range... hearing how good there gun shoots... than mention to them about a friendly competition ... and see there response... my capabilities are no where near most of yours..... but I like to believe I'm better than Joe smo off the street ... only had 4 guys take me up .. 2 AR's 2 bolt actions... bolt guns were stock.. ar's were also... one thing they all had in common were $1000+ optics..... at the time I was running a cheaper off brand (mueller) on a stock savage... we did best of 2 5-shot groups... the range only went to 200yds... closest one to mine was 3/4" larger.... after they claimed they always shoot under 1/2"... I told them at the beginning mine will always shoot under 1 moa... some days it does better than others... afterwards they alll came up with some excuse ... I just kindly suggested they get into the world of handloading...

11. dsandfort

dsandfort Silver $$ Contributor

Seems like we could substitute 1000 yard prairie dog (other small varmint) hits for dime size groups. They both happen "all day long". Actually, it's probably the same shooters.

dkhunt14 likes this.
  12. mr45man

mr45man

13. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

His heavy gun may

Ray

14. Spike A

Spike A Silver $$ Contributor

if they are anything like the guys at my range, they will have a hard time keeping it in at 100.... cant believe what guys call acceptable for hunting, and say they are good out to 3 or 400.... just shake my head.. no good getting in arguments with people, they tend to get real defensive about their guns

hogpatrol and dkhunt14 like this.
  15. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

Indeed. "Never teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and it annoys the pig."

I have to remind myself of that almost daily. Many folks come into my shop - mostly the tire-kickers - and feel compelled to regale me with their life history with firearms. Head-shooting squirrels at 100 yards with a .22 short and iron sights, deer dropped at 500 yards with a .35 Rem, ground hogs taken with one shot across vast distances, etc., etc., and it would appear that every former SEAL, Marine or SF sniper lives in the general area. My Dad used to tell me that sometimes you just have to smile and nod a lot. Not always, but a lot.

I'm not a huge fan of Bass Pro Shop, but I DO appreciate their tag line - "Welcome hunters, fishermen and other liars." Human nature can be so entertaining . . .

Joe Salt likes this.
  16. RW

RW

Some one should look into making some of these, I know I would be interested in buying one!! Don't know what it would take to make one out of plastic or some other material? I would keep it near me always to shut some people up!! Ron

17. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

If I'm going into counterfeiting, I'm sure not gonna do it with dimes.:pjd

18. jimbires

jimbires Silver $$ Contributor

I was at the range one day shooting a couple different distances checking my drops . another guy was there kind of watching me . he asked if I was trying to get sighted in . I told him what I was doing . he told me that the past hunting season he shot his deer at 400 and some yards . I forget the exact distance he told me . he said all he did was hold a little high and let him have it, and the deer droped right away . I asked him a few questions . what's your zero ? .............. 100 yards . how high over did you hold ? .......... almost on the top of his back . what are you shooting ?........... 243wssm . I told him you must have things pretty well figured out , that was a good shot .

19. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot dime sized groups all day long....CANADIAN DIMES. That's even better because they are only worth 7.25 cents US!!

20. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I didn't read all of the posts in this thread, so if there is anyone else out there shooting CANADIAN dime sized groups we should form a club!!

Tod