Did he figure it out?

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Nightraider, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Nightraider

Nightraider

Screenshot_20191010-091437_Chrome.jpg

Did her ever divulge what was happening?

2. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

HOLY GROMBOLI !!!!!!!

3. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Thread is gone.... I called BS on it as it was 1)a bit unbelievable, 2)calling out two well respected barrels makers, 3)...and a first post by a guy who's handle is just too damn close to Chuck'les..... ChuckWells. If it walks like a duck, quacks, has feathers and wings.... it probably is a duck (or a clown in this instance). That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Robin

Comrade Terry, 1shot, swd and 2 others like this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Them abrasive bullets are hell on a barrel

Stan Taylor and Prose like this.
  5. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Me thinks he used JB too much.

Prose likes this.
  6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Jb cant do that unless he used it on a drill mixed with lapping compound

milanuk and joshb like this.
  7. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

I shot with this guy twice in the last month at matches. I have quizzed him with everything I can think of and can't figure out what is going on. He isn't using any coated bullets or anything at all unusual.

He has no ax to grind with anyone, nothing negative to say about any barrel maker, does not blame anyone and truly wants to know what his problem is.

I'm stumped.

--Jerry

daleboy and mike a like this.
  8. mikecr

mikecr

He's suggesting his barrels are burned out because he can't manage seating bullets into the lands.
    I don't know what his shooting results are doing. He didn't mention this, which tells me he's more concerned with land relationship than shooting results.

If he had developed a load off the lands to begin, his early barrels would likely be shooting well today. So he needs to do full seating testing, finding the best CBTO while off the lands, and stop worrying about supposed erosion.

As far as actual land erosion at the rate claimed. I highly doubt it this side of full auto firing. I'm sure it's a measurement issue.

9. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Well.........I’ve seen some guys do some pretty weird things.;)

Nightraider and Dusty Stevens like this.
  10. Archer79

Archer79

Could he possibly be starting with too much freebore to begin with....whos chambering the guns

11. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Too much JB, or just sitting there burning rounds down that bore as fast as he could and never letting the poor bore cool down.

joshb likes this.
  12. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Hard to do a seating depth test when the lands are moving .070 in 100 shots.

He says accuracy degrade as fast as the lands erode...

He would love a helpful solution.

13. farmerjohn

farmerjohn Gold $$ Contributor

If I hadn't had great dealings with you and read your validation of this problem, I would be sceptical too! But now I am really interested in the outcome of this problem..

14. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

Could some odd cleaning regimen be softening the steel?
    Could some bastard have put a handful of sand or such in his powder? If hes feeding them all from the same powder jug, its possible that the powder is faulty? Just spitballing here.

15. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

I know the old electric bore cleaners would erode the steel as fast if not faster than he has experienced. I tested it many years ago , the bore of even stainless barrels looked like lightning streaks of deeply eroded barrel just gone , carbon steel barrels looked like pine tree bark .

16. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

I'd start with a new barrel, borescope and measure. ALL new components. Shoot 100 at .025 jump "using standard barrel breakin practice, no abrasives" then borescope and measure again. You know it can't grow .100 physics wont allow that. Mike

17. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

Is it a standard shouldered barrel or one with a nut (savage/remage)? If a barrel nut, is it loose and increasing headspace? What does the fired brass look like? Is it a blue printed action that had the tenon threads opened up and a standard tenon screwed in?

18. rardoin

If he is legitimate, as you say Jerry, then I owe him an apology. I made an incorrect assumption. I cannot imagine what process in the normal course of shooting those chamberings would cause such extreme throat erosion.

Robin

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    tmwinds likes this.
  19. rardoin

20. farmerjohn

farmerjohn Gold $$ Contributor

I would first look into the powder, this is reminesiant of the bores washing out of S&W hand guns rapidly using "Little Gun" when it first came out. Best powder ever for the .410 shot gun and on paper, pressure wise it was a slam dunk for magnum handgun loads. But a lot of very credible people say it washed out the bore in no time at all.... just thinking back
    John

joshb likes this.