Did everyone give up on BJ bullet

Discussion in '6mm, 6.5mm, and .25 Cal (Not 6BR)' started by greisdor, Jan 12, 2020.

1. greisdor

greisdor Gold $$ Contributor

Has anyone been able to make these group well enough to use in 1K Benchrest?

2. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

There is a very good shooter in my area who shoots gtoundhog and ubr style matches with us from 100 to 500 yds. Has been shooting a straight 6br. When he shows up , he is COMPETITION.He wanted another rifle so had a 25Creedmore built with the BJ. He gets an A for sticking with it all last year, any he expressed his frustration to me, he was no longer competition. It's gone, changed it to a 30BR and he is smiling.Thats only one rifle but I observed it all last year, it was not pretty.

McGraw likes this.
  3. greisdor

I think that bullet needs some tweaking to make it shoot.

4. newbieshooter

newbieshooter :-) Silver $$ Contributor

Have a 25x47. I haven't been able to get them to group small enough to use in a 600/1000 BR match (yet). Still trying/tinkering.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Is it just a production bullet vs. custom bullet thing, bad design, or problems on sierra’s end?

6. std7mag

std7mag

I didn't know Sierra made them.
    Thought it was essentially a start up from some guys garage, much like Walt Berger in the early days.

I'm not spending the extra money on a barrel with special twist.
    If i were to do that, i'd run the 35 miles from home and be doing some serious talking with the fine folks at Cutting Edge Bullets.

7. alphapygmy

alphapygmy Silver $$ Contributor

Hope they shoot, building a 25x47L for F-Open. I like the numbers but don't like being restricted to one usable bullet. I e-mailed Berger if they're working on a competing bullet and they said not yet.

8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

We should make a 25 norma dasher to really keep everybody on edge.

Don, geo.ulrich and dgeesaman like this.
  9. Quickoz

Quickoz

Its mainly built for the PRS guys I think. If he wants to get them into BR, probs needs to give them and a barrel to two to a few guys who know how to make a gun shoot small.

I dont think they will do much in FO, they dont have the bullet weight behind the BC.

10. alphapygmy

For 1000 yards I'd agree but since most of my Open is 600 I'm going to give it a whirl. Plus, I like having oddball stuff no one else does. I have an excellent 6 BR-DX for the calm days and the 25X47L for the breezy ones.

11. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

I know a guy who has a set of 25 cal Neimi FB dies for sale if someone wants to jump into the deep end of the pool. PM me and I'll pass along your info.

waverly likes this.
  12. greisdor

I have not seen or heard of anyone that has been successful in grouping them. I talked to one shooter that said he could not make them group smaller than .5 inch at 100yd.

So why is it not working ? What would you change?

13. Beeman

Beeman

I needed a 25 cal again so I’m doing a 25-284. This will mainly be for hunting deer. As long as they hold minute of deer out to 5-600 yds I’ll be happy. Guys I talked to all said they shoot great. All hunters and not benchrest. I do realize hunting and bench rest are very different standards. From group pictures that were sent to me I’d say they shoot great.

14. greisdor

Hi all - I am trying to figure out how to make these shoot a 2 inch 5 shot group at 1000yd !

6mm can do this and better - so why not the quarter bore ???

dmoran likes this.
  15. alphapygmy

Consider the difference in how much experience people have with 6's at 1000 vs any 25 at long range. Not non-existent but minuscule compared to how much has been done with 6's. I think the 25 needs more time for people to work with high BC, fast twist stuff to see what works. It's not like shooting a 110gr from a 25-06 with a 10 twist. I also wonder if the bullet is up to it and would like to see other choices.

What cartridge are you working with?

16. RGRobinett

RGRobinett Silver $$ Contributor

?? o_O ?? Quality bullets, barrels, and rifles have no idea what [caliber/twist] they are - they just ARE. :eek: RG

GLZ and geo.ulrich like this.
  17. alphapygmy

I agree they just are... I'm saying EXPERIENCE with what works for the new 25 stuff is lacking. What works for 6BR- start with a decent 105ish bullet, in a good barrel with 30gr of Varget and you'll be close. What works in a 25X47L or a 25 Creedmoor-crickets chirping... The 25's need time to figure out what they're capable of.

Beeman likes this.
  18. RGRobinett

RGRobinett Silver $$ Contributor

For the 25x47, that's history - I used one at the NBRSA Hunter Nationals in 2013, winning the 200 Yd. and the Grand Aggregates, and again in 2014 to win the 200 and finish in top three in the Grand, and two more top tens following those: it's never easy to win.;)

Great bullets, great barrel (Bartlein 1:9"), preparation, execution, and focus are all that's required. :D After those happenings, still, people wouldn't believe in .25 Cal. for competition. Oh, bullets, also don't know how far they are traveling.

Presuming BR quality bullets, and precision barrels/rifles, longer range victory is easily within reach of .25 caliber - there isn't any magic to it - just takes some intrepid soles to DO it.:eek: A 25x47 is no different than a 6.5x47 - well except, that with an equal weight bullets, it's just a tad better - or, a 7x47, etc. The requisite stuff is out there. :) RG

Zero333 and brians356 like this.
  19. alphapygmy

Glad you were successful with it. The set-up I'm building is similar-25x47L, Bartlein 1:7.5 for the 131BJ. I'm the 25 caliber guinea pig for our club's 600 yard F class.

20. newbieshooter

newbieshooter :-) Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for posting! I think that's the question of the OP - whether the 131BJ is BR quality enough for 1K BR.