Deer and Snow

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by pdhntr, Mar 17, 2019.

1. pdhntr

pdhntr

I was feeding a total of 7 deer in January when we didn't have much snow. With 4 major snow storms in 3 weeks, the deer moved in with me.

I believe the pic has 19 in it, but the count was up to 25 at one time. I plowed a large area to try to get them away from each other for less stress and I am feeding a hay type silage and corn twice a day now.

Snow is melting and the worst is behind us, but what a winter. Still have 20 that show up on a regular basis.

Jim

[​IMG]

Immike, DirtySteve, WyleWD and 4 others like this.
  2. North Fork

North Fork

3. North Fork

North Fork

I have the same thing but add about 30 head of elk also

Idaho-45, Immike, Bill K and 2 others like this.
  4. Lannister

Lannister

You are loving in heaven.

Immike and pdhntr like this.
  5. 5spd

5spd

I stopped by a local ranch I have snares on and there had to be at least 300 deer/antlope mixed in with their cows in various pastures. There is 2-7' of snow in most places, but they were managing nicely. Saw a handful of coyotes in the mix and Id bet they are going after game struggling in the deep stuff. Most of my traps are under 5' of snow and of course fresh coyote tracks on top of the hard areas.

Immike and pdhntr like this.
  6. pdhntr

pdhntr

At one point I thought I was going to have to fetch a couple fawns from the snow. They climbed up the snow banks and decided they were going to go for a walk on the other side. They ended up floundering in the snow, and couldn't get out for a while. When they ran out of energy, they just "floated" in the snow until they were able to try again.

I think the deer got lucky with the weather in the last couple days. If we would have had a crust form over the 4 feet of snow, the wolves would have slaughtered them as they wouldn't have had a chance. The snow settled to the point the deer can run through it, and this morning they were walking on top with no problems as the snow froze last night. Another couple of warm days and they should be OK.

I hope you guys out west get some relief soon also.

Jim

Immike likes this.
  7. Larryh128

Larryh128

WI has been hammered bad with snow, down by Stevens Point they had about 65 inches in Feb. I wouldn't post too much, not sure feeding is legal.

8. 6fatrat

6fatrat SLING SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

Here in the northeastern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan baiting/feeding of Deer is illegal.
    I do snowshoe in the deer yards quite a bit and assist any wind blown cedar on a trip to the ground.
    Steve Bair

danny and pdhntr like this.
  9. pdhntr

pdhntr

It is still legal in this county. Hope it remains that way.

Jim

Immike and Larryh128 like this.
  10. Larryh128

Larryh128

Good the deer over there need it.

11. Whit holman

Whit holman

Did you find any sheds yet

12. pdhntr

pdhntr

Haven't gone out looking yet. Still too much snow. I was hoping I would find some when I fed, but that didn't happen.

We only had a couple inches when the ten pointer lost his and we have well over a foot yet. He was in to eat on one day with his horns, and then decided to go on a walk-about. Two days later he showed up without them. I think he brought back his brother though, as they look like twins.

Another week or two and it will be time to go out.

Jim

foxguy likes this.
  13. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

2E1017BC-4F3F-4443-AB30-79E48AE91556.jpeg

My neighbor has found a few sheds

mikeinct likes this.
  14. pdhntr

pdhntr

As most do, I prefer to get my horns when there is a head and meat attached, and still moving. I don't know why.......maybe it's the thought of trying to find a SET of sheds in about 600 acres.:eek:

Jim

Immike likes this.
  15. Immike

Agree, I don’t even try to shed hunt. I’m burning CRP this weekend and after cleanup planting soybeans on half of it

pdhntr likes this.
  16. danny

danny

I believe it is illegal in Ohio, as well. They are already overpopulated.

Danny

17. 6fatrat

6fatrat SLING SHOOTER Silver $$ Contributor

We aren't overpopulated, we are in a bovine tuberclulosis [ ? ] quarantine zone and have been for 20+ years.
    Steve Bair

18. Immike

19. pdhntr

pdhntr

Immike and snert like this.
  20. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

CWD is said to be passed in feeding yards. But I am certainly no expert. All i can say is if that d^MN buck that destroyed my new tree in my lawn comes back, he is gonna get a 25 caliber ear ring.

Immike likes this.