Decided to build my 1st custom. Advice?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Evan, Jul 22, 2018.

1. ratbuster

ratbuster

If you are going to run the VT that hot with the 55's then you could bump all those other numbers I gave you 200 fps as well but brass life would be short.

2. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

I'm going to chase the accuracy on this one. It's my first serious rifle, and I'm going to do my best to get to the ones! If that takes backing 200fps off the max speed, that's what I will do! If it's too windy out, I'll use my 6.5 creedmoor. :)

Out of curiosity, has anyone burned out a 20VT barrel under normal circumstances (not pushing the ragged edge of speed)?

3. ratbuster

ratbuster

At 300 yards you won't be giving up any wind performance. The VT barrel should go 4000 plus rounds

4. Hammer47

Hammer47 I suffer fools poorly. Silver $$ Contributor

GO BACK IT'S AN AMBUSH.

370bc likes this.
  5. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Gold $$ Contributor

Wisdom? I can't speak to my wisdom... but I will say: Take the barrel much more seriously.

There are lots of ways to approach things, I know, and "it takes all kinds", but when I send a list and/or a box full of parts to a smith, I know almost EXACTLY what I want done, up-to-and-including sending a reamer with the blank.

The action? Meh. Some differences, to be sure, but I think they get more attention than they deserve relative to some other factors.

6. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

My advice (hard earned) is to find a gunsmith (BR quality) and trust what he tells you. He probably has a great deal more experience than you and should guide you in the right direction. James

Dusty Stevens likes this.