Custom Action?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by NickB1075, Nov 3, 2006.

1. NickB1075

NickB1075 Silver $$ Contributor

Hey Guys. I have saved up enough money to purchase my first custom action. Before I buy I am looking for some input from the people that will know. I kinda have a tall order, this is why I come seeking guidance. I would like to build a switch barrel rig eventually. I want a small caliber like the 20-222, as well as a BR or .308. I am planning on buying two bolts when I purchase the action. I would prefer a repeater action because it will be used in tactical competition as well as live varmints,eastern NY). Is this to much to ask from a single action? Am I going to have problems with the magazine or follower feeding this big of a difference in cartridge? Any input on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Does anybody know of an action that I should look at? I have been researching Nesika mainly. They seem to be the closest for what I am looking to do.

Thanks
    Nick

2. tightneck

tightneck Gold $$ Contributor

I have to agree with gunamonth, the Predator is the way to go. Also, Nesika was bought out by Dakota, who recently filed bankruptcy.

3. mkstjohn

mkstjohn

I guess we are all in agreement, I just ordered my second Predator. The first was a single shot that Curtis at Stiller's put a Shillen barrel on in 20 Tactical. Shoots great!! The second was a 308 bolt face in a repeater. It is going to be a switch barrel in 6mmBR and 260AI.

4. rstreich

rstreich

Just to be different, I'll recommend a Borden. Jim seems to have production up and running now. I also know from experience that Jim puts in some extra effort making sure rifles that he's worked on feed properly.

You are asking a lot from one action, however. In order to get cartridges with different geometries to feed, you'll have to go with something like an H-S Precision floorplate and magazines.

Either way, Stiller or Borden, you won't go wrong. Both make great products and stand behind them.

robert

5. NickB1075

NickB1075 Silver $$ Contributor

Hey guys thank you for all of the input it was a big help and I will be making some phone calls soon.

Thanks
    Nick

6. vmthtr

vmthtr

The bankrupttcy thing is not affection their production, just avioding to have to pay some large bills all a once, from waht I read on BR.com I have a Stiller and did have a Nesika, wanted the drop port or would still have the Nesika.

Mike

7. tightneck

tightneck Gold $$ Contributor

I know they are saying "business as usual", but I prefer my money to go to a financially sound company in case there is a problem sometime down the road. I really dont have a favorite here, its just that the predator would be a much cheaper set up with two bolts,probably $600 or more less). My favorite actions are Bat, but a repeater plus extra bolt would probably run near $1700. The Predator with extra bolt is still less than $1000.

8. wi50

wi50

I just bought one,it's not here yet) from Barney Lawton, Lawton Machine in Dillon Mt. Might want to check them out for a try. Reasonable price and Barney was real helpfull